seat vibration

I fly radio controlled helicopters (Raptor 90, Ergo 60, Ergo 30/50) and they all have the engine solid mounted to the frame, so it is not essential that the engine be rubber mounted.
I will say that rubber mounting will help time-dilate the intensity of each osculation in the cycle of crankshaft rotation, giving glue joints an easier time, but the overall vibrational energy remains the same.

When you watch a plane idling with a rubber mounted engine it still shakes like crazy.

I applied my own solution a few years back for this very same problem. It worked for me. Everyone agrees the engine is inherently unbalanced and one writer pointed out that the cylinder head swings forward and backward. The causes the somewhat-flexible downtube and seat tube to flex forward and backward. Vibrations travel throughout the frame and cause undue handlebar vibrations and seat vibration. Attachment bolts were loosening and backing out. Lost a few on the road.

I thought, "Stop the cylinder head from swinging back and forth, and the vibrations stop." But how?

Use a heavy steel wire one-eighth inch in diameter and a small turnbuckle. Loop a length of wire starting at the side of the engine, around the cylinder head between the first and second horizontal fin, to around the seat post, high up where the horizontal tube intersects the seat tube but cannot slide downward, back to side of the engine. Open the turnbuckle wide and form eyelets on the ends of the wire threaded through the turnbuckle ends. Twist the tunbuckle tight by fingers only; you don't want to break the cylinder off the crankcase. (The wire now becomes a "noose".) This will pull the cylinder head backward, toward the seat post. Twist the turnbuckle until you cannot rock the cylinder forward or backward by hand. The tight wire harness will greatly limit cylinder rocking forward and backward.

When I did this move to harness the cylinder head, my 4500 RPM upper limit at which I could not tolerate the vibration shifted upward to over 5800 RPM as measured by a tach. At that point, I was traveling too fast for comfort and did not push the engine for more speed.

I tried the isolators mentioned in the postings. Tried deadweights on the frame tubes. Rejected all of them. Only after locking the engine in place, did high-rev vibrations become insignificant. Though I moved into 4-stroke engines, that original 2-stroke engine still has my wire harness in place and intact just like it was over three years ago.

* Must admit that this is a great idea *

On my bike i have noticed that the down tube flexes about an eighth of an inch when the bike is on the centre stand and the rear wheel is off the ground and the engine is aggressively revved from idle to 5,000 rpm with the bike in top gear. The same thing happens in reverse when the engine is revving and the brakes are pulled on hard; forcing the rear wheel to suddenly stop which rapidly slows down the crankshaft. When the rear wheel comes to a dead stop the engine bounces up on the deflected down tube.
Watching this motion you could be forgiven the at 2 inch diameter down tube is made of rubber.

I'm going to try MikeJ's technique because it should direct the cylinder pendulum effect back into the triangulated section of the frame where the horizontal tube and seat post tube intersect, which also happens to be where an effective mass damper sits - namely the riders backside which in my case sits on a Cane Creek Thudbuster LT Suspension Seat Post.

I fly radio controlled helicopters (Raptor 90, Ergo 60, Ergo 30/50) and they all have the engine solid mounted to the frame, so it is not essential that the engine be rubber mounted.
I will say that rubber mounting will help time-dilate the intensity of each osculation in the cycle of crankshaft rotation, giving glue joints an easier time, but the overall vibrational energy remains the same.

When you watch a plane idling with a rubber mounted engine it still shakes like crazy.

Agreed, engines shake, but I thought the OP was concerned with the vibro/shake getting to him.Anytime I flew glow and solid mounted the engine, pieces/screws would loosen and the rudder would shake back and forth wildly, kind of like how my front fender does at certain RPMS.
Again Fabian you're one up on me, I can barely get my head around 4 axis flying, helicopters are out of my realm,... then again I'd never set foot in one unless it was an ER trip, they are a flying rock to me.

A few years ago, top motor mounts (head to top tube) were common on this forum. Sounds like a great idear.

I don't know if leather is the best material for insulating vibration. Its density could have changed on you or something. With my second frame I added some scrap tire rubber and that helped cut my frame vibrations tremendously. I'll never mount another motor without doing the same.

may just be cali gas, but all rubber mounts I've seen here are dissolving in the fuel vapors after just a few months

Back