Shi💩mano

This is my pile of Shimano failures over the last two years. If the component is between $15-30 it simply has a short life. I never shift under engine power. So technically the rear derailleur tension control would've been the only one of these components dealing with engine torque. Even the more expensive Shimano Altus front derailleur didn't last more than six months.

20230214_181144.jpg

Even just on a pedal bike I have never had any good experiences with their derailers.
The only thing I have had a good experience with is the short gear cassette. It was on a friends bike that I was doing some repairs and upgrades on for some cash. It made for an awesome ride on a pedal bike with 26 inch wheels.

I never paid for a Shimano F&R derailleurs I got them from bikes I found in the dumpster :LOL:
I collected a few F&R derailleurs over the years and I still got some in my box of bicycle parts in the garage
I put these derailleurs I found on my beach bicycle. I never expected them to last long anyways because I left the bike outside in the salt air alot, To my surprise those derailleurs took a licking and kept on clicking considering how I treated them
My beach bike was built out of 3 different dumpster bikes, it was quite the custom one of a kind creation
and over the years it took 2 more dumpster bikes to keep her going :ROFLMAO: I had that bike 15 years
I gave it to my landscaping engineer (gardener) when I got my Rad Rover 5 E Bike.

It's common for the front derailleur guide to wear out because of the chain

I never paid for a Shimano F&R derailleurs I got them from bikes I found in the dumpster :LOL:
I collected a few F&R derailleurs over the years and I still got some in my box of bicycle parts in the garage
I put these derailleurs I found on my beach bicycle. I never expected them to last long anyways because I left the bike outside in the salt air alot, To my surprise those derailleurs took a licking and kept on clicking considering how I treated them
My beach bike was built out of 3 different dumpster bikes, it was quite the custom one of a kind creation
and over the years it took 2 more dumpster bikes to keep her going :ROFLMAO: I had that bike 15 years
I gave it to my landscaping engineer (gardener) when I got my Rad Rover 5 E Bike.

It's common for the front derailleur guide to wear out because of the chain
Dumpster bikes are what keep my bike going 😂. They've kept it going before the motor, and after. Most of my brake parts, replacement tires, and bearings have come from dumpster bikes.

Even just on a pedal bike I have never had any good experiences with their derailers.
The only thing I have had a good experience with is the short gear cassette. It was on a friends bike that I was doing some repairs and upgrades on for some cash. It made for an awesome ride on a pedal bike with 26 inch wheels.
The Shimano Turney rear derailleur blew apart, a crack formed in the Turney front derailleur and it jamed, a small piece of brace metal bent on the Altus tension spring causing it to jam, and the M51 3 speed shifter/brake lost the ability to shift into the large chainring.

The replacements have been a Sram X4 rear derailleur, Sram X3 rear shifter, Sunrace 405 bake/3 speed shifter, and now a Soonhua front derailleur.

All these replacements were over double the price of the Shimano components except the Altus was double the price of the Soonhua. The Soonhua is a much stouter design and shifts very smoothly.

The one Shimano product which has held up very well over the last two years is the Shimano HG71 chain.

Help me decide on this product: SOONHUA Bike Front Derailleur, Bicycle Derailleur, Hard Metal Bike Front Wheel 42T Chain Derailleur Gear for 42T 7,8,9 or 21,24,27 Speed Bikes with Clamp Size 31.8mm 34.9mm https://a.co/d/fKMqqHd

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The Shimano Turney rear derailleur blew apart, a crack formed in the Turney front derailleur and it jamed, a small piece of brace metal bent on the Altus tension spring causing it to jam, and the M51 3 speed shifter lost the ability to shift into the large chainring.

The replacements have been a Sram X4 rear derailleur, Sram X3 rear shifter, Sunrace 405 bake/3 speed shifter, and now a Soonhua front derailleur.

All these replacements were over double the price of the Shimano components except the Altus was double the price of the Soonhua. The Soonhua is a much stouter design and shifts very smoothly.

The one Shimano product which has held up very well over the last two years is the Shimano HG71 chain.

Help me decide on this product: SOONHUA Bike Front Derailleur, Bicycle Derailleur, Hard Metal Bike Front Wheel 42T Chain Derailleur Gear for 42T 7,8,9 or 21,24,27 Speed Bikes with Clamp Size 31.8mm 34.9mm https://a.co/d/fKMqqHd
Looks good for the price. The only bad reviews are about size. I'm not.sure how well or long it will hold up, but I think it's worth a shot

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back