So I have this trike I want to motorize

GreenMantis

Local time
7:04 AM
The trike seems like the perfect bike to motorize, at first. And they are very practical, with all that room for a big basket on the back. Except that is where I was thinking about putting the engine, and that would take up all the cargo space, catch 22. But there seems to be other spaces to be considered. Maybe if I hung the engine underneath the frame? Or maybe between the seat and one of the wheels? I'm not worried about loosing some ground clearance, it's not a BMX racer, or anything. I'll have to play with this idea when I have an engine to play with.

The trike seems like the perfect bike to motorize, at first. And they are very practical, with all that room for a big basket on the back. Except that is where I was thinking about putting the engine, and that would take up all the cargo space, catch 22. But there seems to be other spaces to be considered. Maybe if I hung the engine underneath the frame? Or maybe between the seat and one of the wheels? I'm not worried about loosing some ground clearance, it's not a BMX racer, or anything. I'll have to play with this idea when I have an engine to play with.
I thought of the same, I figured a frame that was simular to a girl's beach cruiser type look, stick an engine in there with 2 simple metal rods to encourage keeping your legs off it. Since I don't like the look or idea too much I basically figured that an electric front hub would be best... It takes a lot of problems just put the window and since I see old people being more likely to use trikes then electric is just a bit more friendly to them and their fragile arthritis ridden bodies.

I have an electric hub motor, but I think I will leave it where it is, on the same bike as my china girl, since it makes starting the engine so easy. I want to use the 212cc 4 stroke engine, just because. One thing about it, although it's an upright horizontal shaft engine, it's pretty small, and it's actually laid out flat, horizontally, so it has lots of possible places it can work. I think there is just enough room to hang it underneath the frame.

You can always do it like this...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1517271177100.jpg
    FB_IMG_1517271177100.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 383
  • FB_IMG_1517271184012.jpg
    FB_IMG_1517271184012.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 429
That's pretty slick. But I am determined to go 4 stroke with the trike. Has anyone ever tried using a differential axle on a trike? Something like a Peerless for a riding lawn mower, maybe? I was looking at this, it's almost perfect, the right length, and even has a sprocket on it, instead of a gear. It's just in the wrong place, and I don't know how I'd get wheels attached to the ends, they aren't threaded, or anything.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peerless-D...m=253362704311&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You can switch the sprocket form one side to the other, if it would help. The garden tractor ones have a short axle on one side for off setting the sprocket. Differentials work best for trikes, as both wheels pull instead of just one, and mount disk brake on the other side of the sprocket. Both Northern tool & Staton-inc. has these, staton also has sprockets.You need bearing on both ends of the axles , and next to the differential..........Curt

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=179

Back