Starting trouble pointer

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
11:30 AM
If you can point me in the right direction it would be great.

My bike is running great up until a few weeks ago. now starting it is hit-or-miss if it doesn't start up right away I can peddle it for probably a good hundred yards without it started and then stop try again it'll fire right up. I just pedaled it three blocks to the store with a start attempt lasting a whole block, stop at the corner to rest, try again. The whole way no fire. Walk out of the store and it fires up before I leave the parking lot. It just seems like the only solution I've found to a no start is to completely stop the bike and try again. I am leaning to believe I have an electronic issue manifesting due to the hit and miss characteristics of it. At the same time, it has never shut off or lacked the normal power...

It's always a hard one when you can't get the problem to consistently repeat itself. I always have spare parts so I would start with replacing the CDI, then if that didn't work look for loose connections that might cause a off on issue. maybe a bad kill switch or mag wiring. Probably be smarter to try disconnecting the kill switch first before replacing the CDI.

Kill switches can do some funny things sometimes. Most of them are cheaply made and all it takes is a little bit of moisture to make em act up.

Always start at the kill switch when having starting problems.

iknowdude.jpg

It's always a hard one when you can't get the problem to consistently repeat itself. I always have spare parts so I would start with replacing the CDI, then if that didn't work look for loose connections that might cause a off on issue. maybe a bad kill switch or mag wiring. Probably be smarter to try disconnecting the kill switch first before replacing the CDI.
I was thinking about replacing the cdi as step one. Would a stock one be fine or should I spend a few extra bucks and get a special one. I'm comfortable with the speeds I have now but if a cdi swap will give me extra uphill power????

I was thinking about replacing the cdi as step one. Would a stock one be fine or should I spend a few extra bucks and get a special one. I'm comfortable with the speeds I have now but if a cdi swap will give me extra uphill power????
Not going to see much if any noticeable increase in power with fancy CDI. Stock should be fine. Did you try disconnecting the kill switch?

Yeah I unhooked it and same. I did notice today while pedaling without a start, if I twist the throttle a little it will start to fire then gradually start. I'm wondering if this is just part of the temperamental characteristics the Dellorto clone carb has. It's been 100 plus the whole time I've had this set up until a couple weeks ago, right about the time this started happening.

What I did with my kill switch was open it up to inspect it. ( I cannot believe the cheapness of some of the parts on these bikes..) They just use a pair of thin, bent brass strips for the contacts.

China makes some of the world's nicest electrical contacts for computers and personal electronics, why they could spec a half decent set of contacts on these engines is beyond me.

So I rebuilt mine with silver plated contacts from an old Chinese wall heater fan, on switch. This will handle the amperage better, ( I was noticing on the old 'contacts' that they're starting to burn and get pitted at the point they touch at..) I shouldn't need to mess with these ever again.

I know huh! The nerve of these guys to make a engine kit that is almost a bolt on and go propelling a regular bike with a little maintenance 30mph for a couple of years, ship it across the ocean, and have the nerve to charge us 150 bucks for it. I coulda had a month of cable for that price!:rolleyes:

I know huh! The nerve of these guys to make a engine kit that is almost a bolt on and go propelling a regular bike with a little maintenance 30mph for a couple of years, ship it across the ocean, and have the nerve to charge us 150 bucks for it. I coulda had a month of cable for that price!:rolleyes:
:p I bought another twist throttle spec'd for a pocketbike for my friction drive bike that actually had real contacts in the assembly. Darn if it was only $15 with shipping, and on top of this they had the nerve of including a pair of brake levers and a mirror. I tell you, sometimes gets no respect.

Back