Switched to #41 Chain Keep Breaking Master Links

Ap1985

Local time
12:07 PM
I have an 80cc 2-stroke kit on my beach cruiser, when the front studs broke it twisted the original chain that came with the kit. I started searching and many people recommend #41. So I ordered number 41 chain I used a chain tool, I think I made it the right Length. I remember reading make your chain almost tight enough that you dont need a tensioner. Well I went for a ride and the bike seemed smoother than before.But Since I'v put the new chain on after about 3 miles the master link breaks. I laid the chain out, its not twisted or any thing its just the master link is missing. Ive even tried buying a stainless link.Has anyone else had this issue?

I have an 80cc 2-stroke kit on my beach cruiser, when the front studs broke it twisted the original chain that came with the kit. I started searching and many people recommend #41. So I ordered number 41 chain I used a chain tool, I think I made it the right Length. I remember reading make your chain almost tight enough that you dont need a tensioner. Well I went for a ride and the bike seemed smoother than before.But Since I'v put the new chain on after about 3 miles the master link breaks. I laid the chain out, its not twisted or any thing its just the master link is missing. Ive even tried buying a stainless link.Has anyone else had this issue?

Describe what the master looks like, after it fails. Is there anything either side of the chain could be possibly touching? When you put the master clip in, are you installing it so the opening end is “trailing” — basically, is there any way that keeper could be hitting anywhere and getting unclipped?

I wish I could find the Master links, I'll be riding and all the sudden I'll hear something metal Ricochet off the frame, and then I look down and my chain is just hanging off the frame and dragging in the dirt. I've tried it with the clip side of the master link facing in on the bike and out on the bike. Generally what I do is the rounded side of the clip will be facing the front of the bike when I snap it in that way it couldn't be grabbing the open side when rotating.

I wish I could find the Master links, I'll be riding and all the sudden I'll hear something metal Ricochet off the frame, and then I look down and my chain is just hanging off the frame and dragging in the dirt. I've tried it with the clip side of the master link facing in on the bike and out on the bike. Generally what I do is the rounded side of the clip will be facing the front of the bike when I snap it in that way it couldn't be grabbing the open side when rotating.

Sounds like you’re definitely paying attention to that clip, and how it should trail, so there’s definitely something else going on. It’s always the master that fails, right? You’re installing it as open master, then full side plate, then clip (opening trailing), correct?

Yes its always the master link. I am installing it exactly like you said, and Ive tried installing it with the open side facing in and facing out but neither have made a difference. I've gone back looking for the master link to see how it failed but I haven't found any of them yet. Should I try making the chain longer? There is a little slack in it now maybe about an 1/8 of deflection. I also added a new tensioner hoping that would fix the problem. This is the one I am running Now

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Yes its always the master link. I am installing it exactly like you said, and Ive tried installing it with the open side facing in and facing out but neither have made a difference. I've gone back looking for the master link to see how it failed but I haven't found any of them yet. Should I try making the chain longer? There is a little slack in it now maybe about an 1/8 of deflection. I also added a new tensioner hoping that would fix the problem. This is the one I am running Now

Can you take a pic of the side, plant to rear sprocket? If you only have 1/8” deflection, without the tensioner, you’re already too tight. There’s folks out there with calculators, books ‘n all kinds o’ science behind chain tension, but about 1” deflection across 20” (without the tensioner) is a good start — then your spring tensioner can do its job. Repeat failures of only the master would absolutely point toward over-tension.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
OK Ill try to take a picture in a little bit, but I was trying to set it like a bicycle chain I definitely didnt have 1" deflection.

Also, maybe pull that sprocket cover and get a pic inside there (showing the sprocket/chain mesh). Do you also use the engine to slow down, or careful to clutch and use brakes more?

If the master link clip is on backwards it will pop off exactly as you are describing - the closed side should run into the motor while riding.

Back