Tachometer kills engine

Tycho Kops

Local time
3:36 PM
I recently installed a Chinese tachometer on my motorised bike but the tachometer uses to much of the magneto's power leaving nothing for the spark plug. Is there a way to get the tachometer to work and have enough power for the spark?

I recently installed a Chinese tachometer on my motorised bike but the tachometer uses to much of the magneto's power leaving nothing for the spark plug. Is there a way to get the tachometer to work and have enough power for the spark?

YEAH... For $9 dollars get the other chinese tachometer that is battery powered with auto shut off and engine hour meter and can also select 2 stroke or 4 stroke.. just go to ebay and type in digital tachometer and a million of them cheap chinese ones will pop up....
OR you could buy a better stronger Magneto from ZEDA MOTORSPORTS,,, go to web site and look for OZ STRONGER MAGNETO HUGE SPARK... its got almost double the windings than stock..
OR go to gasbike.net and for $25 get the 12 volt stator ,, stock is only 6 volts thats why it sucks, also take out the four 4 screws that bolt the stator in and with some emery cloth or sand paper clean up all metal to metal contact area's... sometimes you get a bad spark from the paint on the metal contact areas.....take your pick,, the 12 volt stator can also run some lights for you also..

YEAH... For $9 dollars get the other chinese tachometer that is battery powered with auto shut off and engine hour meter and can also select 2 stroke or 4 stroke.. just go to ebay and type in digital tachometer and a million of them cheap chinese ones will pop up....
OR you could buy a better stronger Magneto from ZEDA MOTORSPORTS,,, go to web site and look for OZ STRONGER MAGNETO HUGE SPARK... its got almost double the windings than stock..
OR go to gasbike.net and for $25 get the 12 volt stator ,, stock is only 6 volts thats why it sucks, also take out the four 4 screws that bolt the stator in and with some emery cloth or sand paper clean up all metal to metal contact area's... sometimes you get a bad spark from the paint on the metal contact areas.....take your pick,, the 12 volt stator can also run some lights for you also..
The first big of info you gave was useful, definitely get a tach with its own battery since ANY drain on the mag is a bad idea, including lights.

You can equally use 6v lights on a stock mag, which is just as good as their magical 12v version, twice the windings but at half the wire gauge so in all actuality it's more likely to burn out since thinner wires tolerate lower amps and can short out easier. Personally I coat my magneto in epoxy inside a vacuum chamber and break the seal before the 5 minute epoxy sets so it gets completely inside the windings and anywhere air would be so theres no wiggle room (which vibrations will use to destroy the thin wires slowly.)

I use the cheap clear stuff from harbor freight which actually flakes off easier from the metal and plastic than real jb weld would and I have yet to have magneto problems. No rain kills it and the stock works as reliably as it can. Yes I sand the epoxy off the back because like you said stuff between the engine case metal and the mag backing will give a s**tty spark.

Whatever you do don't go to gasbike.

Back