the sport by himself that it's now possible for someone with limited
mechanical skills to take a $100 Walmart cheapy bike and build a 40 mph
vehicle, one I would call a deathtrap, built on a low cost bicycle frame, light
weight wheels, spokes, narrow tires, no shock adsorption, no serious braking
function and cheap hardware. The question is, should this be discouraged
or encouraged? Predictably, it will lead to motorized bicycle
fatalities, and that's not good for the sport, and it's also illegal in every
state. Vehicles like motorcycles and motor scooters that travel at
higher speeds are engineered from the ground up to ride safely.
I love the sport and enjoy building motorized bicycles, but I also
believe in safety. Safety is important: My opinion.
People do drugs, People text while driving, people drink and drive, people can and do earn all kinds of Darwin awards.
Keep in mind, I have seen kids on ten speeds going 45 mph down hill back in the early 70's passing cars. so bicycles and speed are nothing new.
I have seen crotch rockets on city streets do 70 mph in a 35- 40 zone, no matter how well that bike is built, they probably wont survive if they hit something or go over the handlebars...its all relative.
I will take a fall on a 98 dollar walmart kent seachange at 25 mph vs a crotch rocket at 70....its all really about prrudence and common sense, if a person has neither, then inevitably, they will win a Darwin award in one form or fahsion or another.

People do drugs, People text while driving, people drink and drive, people can and do earn all kinds of Darwin awards.
Keep in mind, I have seen kids on ten speeds going 45 mph down hill back in the early 70's passing cars. so bicycles and speed are nothing new.
I have seen crotch rockets on city streets do 70 mph in a 35- 40 zone, no matter how well that bike is built, they probably wont survive if they hit something or go over the handlebars...its all relative.
I will take a fall on a 98 dollar walmart kent seachange at 25 mph vs a crotch rocket at 70....its all really about prrudence and common sense, if a person has neither, then inevitably, they will win a Darwin award in one form or fahsion or another.
I agree with you 100%! You can kill yourself in the shower if you try hard enough.
That doesn't however, mean you shouldn't be aware of the risks involved in doing what you do, and just make sure your actions don't endanger others.

My current build is a bike from Wal-Mart a Schwinn Sidewinder featuring a triple chainring shift kit. Unfortunately the Livettown, PA post office lost the green 410 chain I ordered so the dealer is sending another one.
I got a free 410 chain in the mail awhile back, thanks Jerry!

Back