this place needs a 'rants' forum

crassius

Local time
12:10 PM
Maybe I'm just having a bad day, but it is starting to get to me how much info is posted here that does little but confuse the noobs that show up.

Even the worst POS kit found on ebay will work if put together correctly with the parts provided. If nothing has broken, then which plug one uses or what gap it has means little or nothing. If all you want to do is ride and enjoy, then things that might get 1% more performance just muddy the waters of getting to ride. Even if the carb that came with it is a bit rich, a quick adjust will get a reasonable ride out of it. The muffler that comes with it will work just fine to get down the road.

arrrgh

Maybe a noobs subforum for the beginer repetitive questions. Then anyone who posts something kike "what kit do i need" in the general forum get slapped down. Likewise, anyone talking about things like quench or squish in response to a noob post gets equal beatings.

I suppose that even the noobs that show up here are doing so to learn something as well as solving their immediate problems. We shouldn't expect them all to be building the ultimate bike. If we see something wrong we shouldn't hold back it's mention to spare their feelings.
I think their is a considerable difference between telling a noob that the heat range on his plug is way to hot or the gap is way to small, and trying to explain how to determine how much decking is required to adjust squish. If your responding to the info they are providing that would be about the right level.
If they are absolutely full of horse s**t I don't see any foul in calling them on it. I have and probably will in the future let someone get under my skin, but it's just a forum, nothing mandatory so if I don't like what I'm reading I can always do something else. If the waiter brings spinach to your table and you don't like it it's ok you don't have to eat it.

I've been on other websites as a noob ( we all start as a noob) and asked questions...some of the search engines suck and sometimes difficult to weed through the bs to find maybe a partial answer to ones question.

I don't mind answering a question more than once or giving advice if I can.

I've already learned quite a bit about these china motors asking somewhat noob questions and thankful some of the members here have helped me.

I'm sure I may have another noob type question again at some point...lol

I don't think it is helpful to send a noob out to find a hotter plug when he has a 'no start' motor. He can spend days running to parts stores looking for one and just end up frustrated - better to say 'hold plug in hand' so he can find out there's no spark because a wire is loose.

I don't think it is helpful to send a noob out to find a hotter plug when he has a 'no start' motor. He can spend days running to parts stores looking for one and just end up frustrated - better to say 'hold plug in hand' so he can find out there's no spark because a wire is loose.
First off he said it would start after setting a while so I am assuming it wouldn't do that without spark. Second off I didn't send him anywhere, but I did point out to him his plug is 3 heat ranges hotter than necessary and .010" under gaped. Just thought he might like to know. Third off yes you must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed.
I also asked if he could more clearly explain his problem cause it seemed odd it would start after sitting a while. Even the noobs know you can make a few phone calls and cut running around for days down to a 5 min. ride to the parts store. At least I'm not telling him to split his cases to helicoil a head stud. Please.

Last edited:
first cold rainy day this year and I'm feeling it - still better to send them to the 'no start' list

Back