Trouble getting idle with Skyhawk

2stroke

Local time
11:47 PM
Hi all,

I finally got my 66cc kit set up and aligned thanks to some help from my uncle and a porta power. After we got the frame stretched, mount cut and the chain was clearing everything, I decided to see if it would start. Hopped on and it started like it was nothing. The throttle actually had more range to it as well, and I managed to get down my road and back without any issues. I've driven it a couple times and I only have one problem left to deal with. The motor won't idle.

It might just be how I'm driving it but I find that I can start it and drive to some point where I need to turn around. Once I slow down to do so it bogs down a little and dies. I've tried slowing down with the brakes, I've tried using the clutch lever once I get slowed down enough, but nothing let's me stop driving without the engine dying. I've tried fiddling with the idle screw a bit, but I still haven't gotten results.

Am I slowing down wrong? Or is this something I need to troubleshoot and adjust?

Any help would be great as I can't wait to get this thing running to the point that I can drive longer distances.

The clutch lever has to be squeezed for it to idle . Then you can adjust the spring screw for idle . Hope it helps

The clutch lever has to be squeezed for it to idle . Then you can adjust the spring screw for idle . Hope it helps
Well it's a start, thanks! I had it running earlier, pulled the clutch in and kept giving it a little gas to keep it running. As soon as I try to stop or slow down and use the clutch lever it dies. I'm going to make some adjustments to the screw and see if that helps.

Well it's a start, thanks! I had it running earlier, pulled the clutch in and kept giving it a little gas to keep it running. As soon as I try to stop or slow down and use the clutch lever it dies. I'm going to make some adjustments to the screw and see if that helps.
Raise the needle in the carb with the clip, if it's rich enough it will idle but too lean it will die.

Raise the needle in the carb with the clip, if it's rich enough it will idle but too lean it will die.
I just checked and the clip is in the middle notch out of the 5 notches. So I need to move it closer to the end without the notches?

Just got back from a test drive with the needle clipped to a richer setting. Still won't idle. At first it sounded closer but later it was just dying quick like before.

I ended up adjusting the idle screw. It was out wayyyy too much. Maybe 10 full turns and it still wouldn't idle. Stopped and did another half turn and it idled (choppy, but I'll be able to dial that in). Is there any reason why I should change the needle back to the middle setting? It's only one notch richer so I'm not sure if that will hurt it at all.

I would change that needle to the second position from the top of the needle...If you are at an altitude like i am at between 4300 to 4500 ft, then you will need the very top notch...DAMIEN

I would change that needle to the second position from the top of the needle...If you are at an altitude like i am at between 4300 to 4500 ft, then you will need the very top notch...DAMIEN
Luckily my area only ranges from 0 to a few hundred feet, so would the second position still be required or would the third work just as well at my altitude?

Last edited:
Back