Troubleshooting engine start fail

Steve

When the clutch is in the pedaling is easy. When the clutch out the bike slows down it becomes hard to pedal and eventually it stops.
Hmm strange when the clutch is in the big gear wheel turns as does the plate with it but the small one does not:confused:
Right now I am trying to get that stupid striped screw out. I need to see what that magneto looks like. First trying a dremel to put a notch in the head of screw. Otherwise I'm just angle grinding that left hand case off cos it's driving me mad.

Yes, that one is nicer than mine : )

when I bought mine around 1963, they didn't make them that nice

Yes, that is the way it should be, with the engine going THUP, THUP, THUP when the clutch is out.Is it?

I only hear the thup thup thup of the piston when the spark plug is out. When it's in though it's quiet but I can hear the mechanical grinding of the gear wheels.

Yes, that one is nicer than mine : )

when I bought mine around 1963, they didn't make them that nice

Beautiful I'll order it right now for the future- I can't wait for it right now though...

It may be that the clutch is slipping when the plug is in and engine has to much compression to turn over while slipping .you should hear the piston turning over,try tighten up the flower nut in small increments at a time maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and check for proper engagement.

Hahaha got the bugger off eventually and cut myself too
The is metal dust from the left magneto cover which I cut into to get to screw- you can see the whole area dusty- can that damage the magneto?
Am I to take the metal thing to be the magnet and the yellow thing to be the coil?
I will hoover the thing now and try what everyone suggested

Attachments

• 20161120_005737.jpg
    20161120_005737.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 20161120_005635.jpg
    20161120_005635.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 182
Beautiful I'm gonna buy an electric drill, hacksaw set, angle grinder, hand impact driver from homebase and get to work on all these things! thanks .
But firstly how can you be sure the engine isn't flooded ? fuel tap on the gas tank was turned on when it I tried to start and fail many times- some unburnt fuel would surely have reached the carb and therefore engine?
When u start up the engine it will burn off and it most likely not flooded and if u didn't like my answer above remove the engine and turn the sproket while holding the motor upside-down.

Hahaha got the bugger off eventually and cut myself too
The is metal dust from the left magneto cover which I cut into to get to screw- you can see the whole area dusty- can that damage the magneto?
Am I to take the metal thing to be the magnet and the yellow thing to be the coil?
I will hoover the thing now and try what everyone suggested
Yes the magneto is the circle in the center.

Back