Upgrades - Looking for advice

jacobstechandbikes

Local time
5:32 AM
Recently, I installed a 2 stroke 49cc engine kit on my old trek mountain track 800 bicycle. It works great, aside from the leaky exhaust gasket that only sometimes spritzes my leg... I have a new gasket on the way, but I looked into upgrades for quite sometime, and settled on buying the following :
- new gold/chrome colored throttle grips ($7)
- new gold high compression cylinder head ($14)
- new exhaust gasket ($2.50 for 2)
- high performance NGK spark plug ($7, which I know is pretty steep)
- 10 spring clip hose clamps to prevent fuel leaks ($0.76 from China)
- red high performance air filter ($1.66, from China)
- 2 rear view mirrors ($2.20, $1.10 each)
- cheap cable lock with loops for a nice padlock on it ($1.35 from China)
And the ICING ON THE CAKE:
- a 26 tooth rear sprocket compatible with the stock sprockets mount ($16 from USA)

Now I face a dilemma: I don’t want to test all of these till after the break-in period, and by then the return period will be over for all of them, so I won’t know if they work out well for a bit longer...
so I need to assure myself this will be a good combination. I got the 26t sprocket for more speed, at the cost of torque. BUT, to make up for the lower torque, I decided to also purchase the high compression cylinder head, which I hear can help raise the torque on these 2 stroke engines. I figured since I had some money left over, I’d also buy a spark plug, cause if nothing else, it’ll be better quality than the cheap one that came with the kit.
What I need to know is, do you guys think that the combination of the small sprocket and the high compression head will help create a good balance of torque and speed?
Thanks!

I wanted to gold accents too, but when I got the parts in, they were more of an orange anodized color. least they match. I don't think China knows gold is supposed to be more yellow than orange :confused:

I had to go with 40T rear sprocket on my mild ported 48cc (700c wheels.) it didn't like to pull a 38T unless I was pedaling a lot above 15mph. took away all the torque and me + bike are only 185lbs
26T would be extreme, from what I see guys with a 26" and high hp 66cc engines, 32T gets them to 40+ mph no problem and till have torque

Recently, I installed a 2 stroke 49cc engine kit on my old trek mountain track 800 bicycle. It works great, aside from the leaky exhaust gasket that only sometimes spritzes my leg... I have a new gasket on the way, but I looked into upgrades for quite sometime, and settled on buying the following :
- new gold/chrome colored throttle grips ($7)
- new gold high compression cylinder head ($14)
- new exhaust gasket ($2.50 for 2)
- high performance NGK spark plug ($7, which I know is pretty steep)

And the ICING ON THE CAKE:
- a 26 tooth rear sprocket compatible with the stock sprockets mount ($16 from USA)
. I got the 26t sprocket for more speed, at the cost of torque. BUT, to make up for the lower torque, I decided to also purchase the high compression cylinder head, which I hear can help raise the torque on these 2 stroke engines. I figured since I had some money left over, I’d also buy a spark plug, cause if nothing else, it’ll be better quality than the cheap one that came with the kit.
What I need to know is, do you guys think that the combination of the small sprocket and the high compression head will help create a good balance of torque and speed?
Thanks!
26???? Way too small for a 48cc! or even a 66 cc motor.
What tooth sprocket do you have on it now?

That new gold high compression cylinder head will add nothing to your "performance" or torque.
Do you have a link to that head?

I wanted to gold accents too, but when I got the parts in, they were more of an orange anodized color. least they match. I don't think China knows gold is supposed to be more yellow than orange :confused:

I had to go with 40T rear sprocket on my mild ported 48cc (700c wheels.) it didn't like to pull a 38T unless I was pedaling a lot above 15mph. took away all the torque and me + bike are only 185lbs
26T would be extreme, from what I see guys with a 26" and high hp 66cc engines, 32T gets them to 40+ mph no problem and till have torque
Oh, so the 26t would make the bike slower? Everyone was saying in the reviews that it gave them lots of speed, but if it’s not gonna be much better, I might cance the order and get a boost bottle instead lol

26???? Way too small for a 48cc! or even a 66 cc motor.
What tooth sprocket do you have on it now?

That new gold high compression cylinder head will add nothing to your "performance" or torque.
Do you have a link to that head?
Quite honestly, at first I just wanted it to match my throttle grips, plus the upward spark plug will keep the coil from falling off when I hit bumps, that happens a lot. here’s the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/311965465627

Unfortunately, it’s too late to cance the sprocket order, it shipped out earlier today. But if it’s too terrible, I’ll just return it

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

I noticed in your profile pic, are those roswheel pannier bags? I have a roswheel bag looks exactly like that, I need to send it back cuz it ripped , kept getting stuck in wheel ugh

Quite honestly, at first I just wanted it to match my throttle grips, plus the upward spark plug will keep the coil from falling off when I hit bumps, that happens a lot. here’s the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/311965465627

Unfortunately, it’s too late to cance the sprocket order, it shipped out earlier today. But if it’s too terrible, I’ll just return it
That head is junk.
How much shipping will it cost you to return a $16 sprocket?

Your 48cc probably has a 44 tooth sprocket?
You might be able to drop to a 40 tooth but a 26 just shows that you do not understand gearing ratios. You
do not have the power to pull such a small sprocket.
How fast does your 48cc go now with a 44 tooth?
How old are you?

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That head is junk.
How much shipping will it cost you to return a $16 sprocket?

Your 48cc probably has a 48 tooth sprocket?
You might be able to drop to a 40 tooth but a 26 just shows that you do not understand gearing ratios. You
do not have the power to pull such a small sprocket.
How fast does your 48cc go now with a 48 tooth?
How old are you?
It goes around 25-26mph right now, which is why I’m trying to get a smaller sprocket. It’s not cause I don’t understand hearing ratios, it’s cause this is the first motorized bike I’ve built and I am unsure what combination is best. I will return the 26t once I get it and will order a 40t sprocket, and I will likely be returning the head as well, and probably getting either a boost bottle or a new rear rack cause mine is plastic and it’s so discolored it’s changed from black to white

It goes around 25-26mph right now, which is why I’m trying to get a smaller sprocket. It’s not cause I don’t understand hearing ratios, it’s cause this is the first motorized bike I’ve built and I am unsure what combination is best. I will return the 26t once I get it and will order a 40t sprocket, and I will likely be returning the head as well, and probably getting either a boost bottle or a new rear rack cause mine is plastic and it’s so discolored it’s changed from black to white
Boost bottles are worse Junk than that head.
Assuming that you have 26" wheels and a 44 tooth sprocket which you have not verified, your 48 cc is
only going 26 mph at Only 6000 rpms.
Putting a smaller sprocket on will not magically make your bike faster or rev higher.
Please post some pics of your bike.

Boost bottles are worse Junk than that head.
Assuming that you have 26" wheels and a 44 tooth sprocket which you have not verified, your 48 cc is
only going 26 mph at Only 6000 rpms.
Putting a smaller sprocket on will not magically make your bike faster or rev higher.
Please post some pics of your bike.
745C2B6A-1665-4BE8-BD0F-D8D0C1C95CA2.jpeg
FF302414-AA13-4ECD-9E1B-CD8C78A6993F.jpeg
64CD04D1-75CE-4727-A547-702329232413.jpeg

Back