What type of metal are typical fenders made of?

panmines

Local time
5:45 AM
So I want to try to make custom fender skirts for my bike and need to know that type of metal fenders are made of so I can get the right sheet metal and filler rods. I assume they are some type of steel as opposed to aluminum because they do not bend as easily and are not as soft as aluminum. I know there probably not a standard for all fenders, but maybe one type of metal is more common than others. Is there a way of determining by inspecting or testing them?

These are the fenders I plan on using:
1223_1O2PPzthMo4Lzk_600x600.jpg

Store link: https://www.classic-cycle.de/en/all/1591/extralong-fender-set-26-inch.-with-ducktails-black?c=407

Most will be tin or steel, aluminum is more difficult to warp into that shape and aluminum in general is more expensive. .

If you use copper you'll have a metal that is easy to form, paint, and just does not rust, an added bonus for something that is meant to catch water and road crap.

Thin sheet steel will work , probably 22 gauge, steel supply has a gauge and can check your fenders. You going to weld them? Would tig weld if so .......Curt

I use 18 gauge sheet steel when I make them. most commercial ones are probably tin

Thanks for the input everyone.

Think my fenders are most likely mild steel. I know they are ferrous because it is magnetic. I also have done a spark test and the sparks are long and do not burst that much at the ends.

I plan on using my oxy-acetylene torch to do the welding as I am new to welding and heard it was the easiest method to pick up. I also bought the thing because I have a need to cut metal far away from an electric source. Is RG45 the best filler rod to use in this case? I measured the thickness of my fenders and they are 1/32" (22 gauge)

The main thing here is practice, a lot of heat distortion & warping will happen. Best to get some old fenders and play first. Myself would think brazing would be better. Even soldering , as not some much heat...........Curt

Back