Why not mount engines in rear instead of squeezing them into the frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
because books would get in the way of the pedals. a china girl is narrower than most books.

the high center of gravity kills the ride

because books would get in the way of the pedals. a china girl is narrower than most books.

the high center of gravity kills the ride
I thought there was some BB adapter needed.Oh well, enojy the CG, I'll enjoy the GEBE.

Out of curiosity Butre, I guess your ridden and have full experience with a GEBE? I'd only comment on what I have first hand experience with.Sorry I just love giving the CG people crap.I've ridden them all, took me years to save for the first one.The 5th paragraph on the link sums it up.
http://mb-rambler.mysite.com/about_me.html

Out of curiosity Butre, I guess your ridden and have full experience with a GEBE? I'd only comment on what I have first hand experience with.Sorry I just love giving the CG people crap.I've ridden them all, took me years to save for the first one.The 5th paragraph on the link sums it up.

Thanks, a nice read and good information.

I can almost hold my hand up for MPH/CC as my trike went 29MPH with a 31 CC Honda 4 stroke friction drive,

29 MPH seems very fast when you are seated 13" above the road!

Some shifting 66CC 2 strokers are getting about 45 MPH (with less efficiency).

For the simplicity, size, weight, efficiency, pollution, sound, integral gas tank, and low tire replacement cost, a 4 stroke friction drive (Staton) seems to be a prime candidate.

My trike is great but it is too wide and too long for my needs.

BTW I suggest front wheel pedaling to allow lots of room for an engine and still maintain the bicycle class..

I have it on Craigslist and I am offering to trade for an 80CC bike.

Stu Trike cropped.jpg

not a gebe, but I rode a bike with a rack mount predator 212 for a month before deciding the handling and cost of tires was too terrible

not a gebe, but I rode a bike with a rack mount predator 212 for a month before deciding the handling and cost of tires was too terrible
OK, I thought we were just jabbing.Please do not take offense, but you have a misconception of what rack mount IS/should-be.You've compared all rack mount with your experience, the Predator-212 itself weighs 35-37lbs, that as much as Staton's heaviest gearbox AND motor combo.A GEBE weighs in at 15-17lbs, that engine-&-trans.A few of those lbs are below the rump, none of it hangs behind the rear wheel. To the point, you put twice the weight needed to propel a bicycle, on the back/high of course the weight of a small child will have some effect, and cause premature wear in more places than just tires.The less weight, the less effect.What you had was a motorcycle not an MAB, as such, frame mount, as in harley was the only option.More weight=more wear an tear, a Shwalbe lasts me thousands of miles, no difference than if the miles were pedaled. Ride what slides the cookie, I'm just stating facts, based on hard research/science.

the total weight increase from motorizing was 42 lbs, which made for a 68 pound bike. it was lighter than my first China girl bike by 7 pounds. the problem was 100% in the weight distribution. a rack mount might be more practical if you go with a 30-something cc engine where what little weight there is sits below you.

I already had a 212 laying around, and the only bike I had at the time couldn't fit it in the frame and had funky oval tubes that I didn't want to have to match for a stretch build

48 lbs, is still too much, to be considered an MAB.The weight is everything, if you can't pedal up to and bunnyhop a curb, you have a
motorcycle/moped posing as an MAB, if you can't "unpowered" pedal past 15 mph because of drag/weight you have a motorcycle/moped.
You are commenting on something you have no experience with, I run 35 to 48cc quality engines, I fly to scary speeds, I climb hills
with ease, all under 20lbs, all up mount/engine/trans weight.Ride and slide, but you may want to hold a GEBE engine/mount/strap all built-up in one hand before you jump to conclusions.

68 pounds is well within the realm of what you see in antique bicycles and utility bicycles. I've never seen a 68 pound motorcycle. even flying fleas weigh 130

if you can find me a 68 pound motorcycle, I'll buy it.

It's real hard to have a worthwhile debate with someone who can't stay on point.The subject was rack mount, you stated they were all too weight-shift prone, based on your mounting 45+lbs on the rack of a bicycle, your only experience, which makes room for only a narrow view or belief, not true compared facts.Let's agree to disagree
and please consider having knowledge on something before making broad generalizations, it takes from the iron of your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back