Wrist pin clip failure??

MotoMatt

Local time
11:58 PM
Hey guys i am new to the forum and new to the world of motorized bicycles...i had purchased an 66/80cc engine kit with the Kulana Hiku beach cruiser...I followed all break in instructions to the T that were given to me by the seller of the kit...less then 100 miles and i was riding at about half throttle cruising at about 18-20 mph and all of a sudden very loud pop/crack noise and instantly engine died...still had compression..not sure how much but it did have at least some...pedal the heavy beast about 4 miles back home to tear top end off and discover the wrist pin clip had a small piece break off and travel up and down with the piston...(when i get home i have pics to upload) and after destroying piston and cylinder walls embedded itself in the bottom of the head...i have searched and searched and only can find info about wrist pin bearing failure and not wrist pin clip failure...was wondering if any of you more experienced folks here have encountered anything similar??? I have contacted the seller and they are replacing the entire top end for me but as i said i have no idea why this happened in the first place?? Thank you in advance guys!!

it is very easy to get that clip in a bit crooked - sounds like factory error

when putting clip in, always check that it is seated well by turning it a bit to check that it will turn easily in its groove and vertical sections are pointing up/down

would it be wise to invest in some type of better bearing and wrist pin clips?? And if so where would i find the correct ones for this engine?

would it be wise to invest in some type of better bearing and wrist pin clips?? And if so where would i find the correct ones for this engine?
Was the clip the 2 prong type?
Or look like an "e"
Coincidentally I was just sent pics today of a failed 2 prong clip that destroyed a race engine top end.

I know this is pretty late but there are actually some nice moped wrist pin clips that are a perfect fit for these engines. https://www.treatland.tv/10mm-wrist-pin-clips-p/moped-wrist-pin-clips-10pin.htm They feel much better than the stock ones and snap right in. I have swapped both of my engines over to these after seeing multiple cases of the stock wrist pin clips failing. It seems the 2 prong clips are weaker than the "e" clips because that's what I see fail more often. Usually one of the prongs breaks off and goes through the engine.

If I have a two prong wrist pin clip that broke to where it look like a e clip how trustworthy is it to just leave it setted

Back