Am I driving illegally?

Hmmmm... Get a driver's license?

In all seriousness though, getting one if you are a minor has become prohibitively expensive for some as it is all private drivers ed companies now. I got my license a few years back and it cost about as much as one of my bikes.

What sort of highway are you talking about? If its a 45 or 55 mph county highway expect to be crammed off to the side the entire time with no shoulder. If its the interstate I'm surprised you're not in jail. You might get thrown in for the fire muffler though.... :)

25 zones are great. Try and use those as much a you can. Wear a helmet.

How big is that enduro Steve? I rode an MX for the first time a little while ago and (I hate to say it) it was a ton more fun than any motorized bike I've ridden. Being on dirt may have had something to do with it...

Hey it never hurts to throw in some humor. The highways around me go at a minimum of 55-75mph-so...no I am not driving on the highway. I am not sure if I am going to do the flamethrower exhaust but I am still considering it. Yeah roach is still a pretty bad name especially when at work as a busboy they call me by last name right next to a customer. You should see there faces. In order for me to get a drivers license I need insurance to drive. At 17 yrs old that would be a heavy $400-500 a month. So now u know why I chose a motorized bicycle.

In all seriousness though, getting one if you are a minor has become prohibitively expensive for some as it is all private drivers ed companies now. I got my license a few years back and it cost about as much as one of my bikes.

What sort of highway are you talking about? If its a 45 or 55 mph county highway expect to be crammed off to the side the entire time with no shoulder. If its the interstate I'm surprised you're not in jail. You might get thrown in for the fire muffler though.... :)

25 zones are great. Try and use those as much a you can. Wear a helmet.

How big is that enduro Steve? I rode an MX for the first time a little while ago and (I hate to say it) it was a ton more fun than any motorized bike I've ridden. Being on dirt may have had something to do with it...
you should try a mab in the dirt. way more fun than mx. the extra turning radius and light weight means you can get places a full on motorcycle can't go

you should try a mab in the dirt. way more fun than mx. the extra turning radius and light weight means you can get places a full on motorcycle can't go
Those are facts I try to explain to these city folk, along with snow riding, it's like an entirely different universe especially when you have so so much physical control over the vehicle. I honestly can't say I felt like the bike ever had more say on ice than I did. I've dropped my bike on very slippery snowed/ice roads I'll admit it, but if I was on an MX style I'd of done it more than twice the way I rode last winter.

<SOME SNIPPED>

The KTM 300/380 is about 225 lbs without fuel.
I had both bikes (2001 300EXC and 2001 380EXC) out today with my son on the 380.
Temps were no more than 60f today at 2pm. Altitude is sea level to 400 ft.
Was running 170 main in the 300 when temps were warmer, noticed plug was dangerously white with the cooler temps, so switched to 175. Not as crisp as the 170, but plug looked better, tan.

We were running with a newish RM450, Not much difference in the power of the 3 bikes. The 380 was fastest, but not by much. I was on the 300 and even with the richer jetting I kept up with the big boys even on drag races. The 380 needs less revs to power on but not a lot quicker than the 300. The RM450 had wonderful suspension and gave the feeling of more power but didn't prove out in the drag races. The 380 power delivery and traction feels very similar to the 450, linear from idle up, but much lighter under your knees. All are scary fast with full throttle rarely used. We run on less than 1/8 throttle and low rpm in the trails, still throwing huge rock and popping wheelies at will at any speed. These bikes are awesome, like a dream for power.

Yup, it is a world away from my motorized bike, but I still like the motorized bike, and I can ride it on the street.
The MB can teach how to jet and keep a 2 stoke living. Even the KTM needs some care.
We also used about $10 of fuel in an afternoon of riding.
My motorized bike takes about $10 a week!

Dang, 50+ HP in a bike that light is insane. Must be a riot. Sure makes the Grom look fat....

Any preference for practical riding on the street?

I'd love to thrash on a mab in the dirt sometime. Think it would be fun on non rocky trails through the woods. Have to grab one of those huge sprockets and some knobbies.

Dang, 50+ HP in a bike that light is insane. Must be a riot. Sure makes the Grom look fat....

Any preference for practical riding on the street?.

The bike in the pictures above is a 125 that is street legal. About 40 hp (probably only 37!) in a 240 lbs bike with 11" of suspension travel.
full

The sprocket is sized to give me a top speed of about 140 kph on the flat and about 130kph up the steepest highway hills. It will easily run with any of these bikes and the semi-knobbies give it great cornering. You cannot drag the pegs on this bike.
full

Not real pretty but more than fast enough. The dual tanks will carry 20 litres of fuel, good for about 600 kms!
6 gears keep you in the powerband. You have to work it. It is a blast, cracking through the gears, passing the big boys on the corners. When a bit of gravel has everyone slamming on brakes, this bad boy will snake to the front. When I get to where I'm going, a 10 minute front sprocket change will bring back the twisty trail manners.

Being singlish for the past 10 years, I haven't had a woman telling me I cannot buy a bike. I've had a 94 Ninja 750 <scary>, Husaberg 450, KZ1000, XS1100, and a bunch of other bikes. I love this one. If I could only have one, this would be it. Part of its charm is no limits. It will go anywhere with no worries.

Still, I love the simplicity of the motorized bike. I had complicated dreams at first, shifter, power pipe and high speed capable. I find myself pedaling across the country turning the motor on only as I face a hill. I love it.

Steve

The bike in the pictures above is a 125 that is street legal. About 40 hp (probably only 37!) in a 240 lbs bike with 11" of suspension travel.
full

The sprocket is sized to give me a top speed of about 140 kph on the flat and about 130kph up the steepest highway hills. It will easily run with any of these bikes and the semi-knobbies give it great cornering. You cannot drag the pegs on this bike.
full

Not real pretty but more than fast enough. The dual tanks will carry 20 litres of fuel, good for about 600 kms!
6 gears keep you in the powerband. You have to work it. It is a blast, cracking through the gears, passing the big boys on the corners. When a bit of gravel has everyone slamming on brakes, this bad boy will snake to the front. When I get to where I'm going, a 10 minute front sprocket change will bring back the twisty trail manners.

Being singlish for the past 10 years, I haven't had a woman telling me I cannot buy a bike. I've had a 94 Ninja 750 <scary>, Husaberg 450, KZ1000, XS1100, and a bunch of other bikes. I love this one. If I could only have one, this would be it. Part of its charm is no limits. It will go anywhere with no worries.

Still, I love the simplicity of the motorized bike. I had complicated dreams at first, shifter, power pipe and high speed capable. I find myself pedaling across the country turning the motor on only as I face a hill. I love it.

Steve
Your pictures really make me miss home...

Back