Aussie roll call......

Okay youse illegitimates.

I see 49 cc 4Stroke Kits, 80cc 2strokes, Electrics that would pull yer foreskin off, at up to 1000 watts, riding in Brissie on the centenary bikeway from Jindalee to Breakfast Creek, blokes in Cammeray riding around Milson's Point. Crow eaters in the Adelaide Hills are doin' it Sandgropers are doin' it as are Little Tassie Devils.

So, where's Mr Plod while all this is going on? Has anyone here bothered to mention that YER CAN"T HAVE A SWEATWHEEL WITH MORE THAN 200 WATTS?

Enlighten me someone.

I may be one of the blokes you see riding around Cammeray and have been riding in this area for over 2 years.

I was pulled over by a Copper a couple of months ago for changing lanes without looking.The Policeman told me off and didn't even mention the motor.

The 200 watt law is difficult for anyone to figure out.I hope the cops just don't want the hassle.

Yep, same here, in Nowra, NSW. If you're not stupid, they leave you alone. I ride past cops all the time and rarely get a second look.
We are on thin ice, though. Anything over 200W is illegal. I also have a legal 200W electric, but it's no fun to ride.

... Steve

Last edited:
greetings from villawood syd
yepp i have a bike just a pity i broke rear rim
ohh its a RSE chainless an 50cc motor ...
used to go a whopping 55 kmh ..
nxt yr i,ll get a new bike an transfer motor ..
this 1 had gone 2500km

got a mate with a red dunlop an grubee 48 ,,,same area
we both been into syd city on our bikes together

Ive been pulled over in Brisbane (on northside) and I got abused and told that there not allowed but when I first got the bike I called 3 different police stations and they said that they are fine I guess it just depends if the cop is good or bad. I hope your not in Brisbane cause they are cracking down on the petrol bikes one of my mates got told there not allowed as well.

SHeeze !! Guys you need to read the laws on this .
You can be charged if your bike is powered above that stupid 200 Watt level .
Don't bother calling the cops " check the RTA laws in your state .

Now when it comes to revenue , the cops will be told to collect .
Get caught & you will be paying over $400 Fine if you can't prove your MB is legal .
This stinks I know, but thats the way it is at the moment .

As for those who made this rule :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bobby.

G'day Bobby. My thoughts on my 2-stroke are that I hope I'll get away with it long enough to justify the fine, in terms of fun and longer rides.
I'll take it to court, plead 'pensioner, bad lungs, can't pedal far' and cross my fingers. Hopefully I'll get a reduced fine. Then I'll sell the 2-stroke and stick to the electric or, shudder, go back to cars or a real bike.

... Steve

G'day Bobby. My thoughts on my 2-stroke are that I hope I'll get away with it long enough to justify the fine, in terms of fun and longer rides.
I'll take it to court, plead 'pensioner, bad lungs, can't pedal far' and cross my fingers. Hopefully I'll get a reduced fine. Then I'll sell the 2-stroke and stick to the electric or, shudder, go back to cars or a real bike.

... Steve

Hi Steve ,
Understand your health problems , Mate you could really attack that 200 Watt Law , just need to get the media on side :cool:

We the people decide what is the Law !!! not those half-wit Bureaucrats .
How can they argue about 2 stroke pollution when there are say a 100,000 lawn mowers going every day with bigger motors ?

Like to see you take them on :D

Bobby

Yeah, I live in a hilly area where often the electric bike range, (32km, 20 miles), just isn't enough. Wonderful for shopping - where I used to walk into town and get a taxi home with the shopping, once a fortnight, now I can zip in any time for small loads and get my main fortnightly stuff delivered, all for much less than the previous taxi fare for one trip.
To the doctor and back used to be a $24 taxi round trip or 1¼ hour walk each way, now it's ??? cents and 20 minutes each way.
For the longer trips, the 2-stroke is a necessity. Public transport in Nowra is almost non-existent. And when no-ones looking, I can wind it out to 50 kph.
Since I've had these bikes, about 3 months, I've clocked up about 750km. Guess how far I would have got walking?
(Secretly, I sort of look forward to the court discussion in a way, but I'll still end up with a fine, of course.)

... Steve

Back