Best/Strongest Rims for rear chain drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody know? need rims ASAP but don't have a clue what tires will fit

Just to clear up any confusion, there are two different Wheelmaster names in the Biz, If you type in your browser "The Wheelmaster", you'll get me ! my wheels are not Inexpensive, but I'm the only builder in the Industry who Backs their wheels with a Lifetime gaurantee, over time, this actually ends up being the cost effective way to go as you'll likely buy a number of wheels as they break, the idea that drilling your hubs and rims (Correctly) weakens them is a myth.
If this post sounds arrogant, it's not meant to be, I'm a very humble man, and their are allot of options concerning wheels and tons of info on this forum, many avenues to be concidered, I just wanted to take this opportunity to let you know about the two Wheelmaster names and hopefully the people here will not get the two confused.

O okay, ya there is you, the wheelmaster, and Wheel Master. I ended up purchasing the Wheel Master 12g rims. And ya i figured it they were drilled properly it wouldn't weaken the frame. I don't have the tools nor skill to do this myself. And don't have the money to buy such nice "unbreakable" rims from you.

Those should serve you nicely if you get your sprocket all aligned accurately. Take your time and tighten evenly! Did you figure out your tire size?

Last edited:
Wheels

No worries, maybe I can help in the future, I just wanted to comment on the two names getting confused, best of luck with your wheels !

Thanks! Has anybody ever had any problems with powdercoating bicycle rims? Should be fine i would think. Translucent green would look real sweet..

powder coat....

Powder coating is something I almost always advise against, due to the fact that any powder coating thats done right, subjects your parts to intense heat, this oven cooking process changes the molecular structure of the metal in your parts, making them brittle, and sometimes warp in the oven, rims that are aluminum will certainly suffer, same as an aluminum hub, steel parts are also weakened, (just not quite as much), the only hub I know of that would still be structuraly sound after this process would be the Staton hub as I've NEVER experienced a hub made of such tough material, (Took me all day to drill one with a carbide drillbit, regular bit's barely scratched it).
There are allot of different types of paint these days, and I'm pretty sure you could find a translucent paint that didn't require the Oven time, make sure you either sand blast or Glass bead or Wallnut shell the part beforehand so the paint won't just peel off, should work great !
Powder coat works fine for frames and some other applications, but for hubs and rims, I'm not a big fan of the Idea, Hope this helps..

A typical powder coating exposes the metal to 200 degrees for approx. 10 minutes. Not hot enough to have any negative impact on a wheel.

I seen some talk earlier in the thread about spokes busting. How would I know if I had a few broken w/o removing the gear???

I seen an article a while back about wrapping wire arround the spokes and soldering them, if I find it I'll repost.

Well this is a steel rim, and i don't really think 10 minutes is going to warp the rim or even make it brittle. Also remember these are thick 12 G steel spokes. I want to powder coat it because it is steel and will rust. Has anybody actually powder coated their rims? Not just thought about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back