Best/Strongest Rims for rear chain drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you powder coat a wheel that is already assembled and trued, you'll end up with a warped wheel ! this is a fact, it doesn't matter if the rim is steel. personally, I would paint it. plus, once it's powder coated the option of trueing the wheel has ended, the nipples will not turn, so now you've got a wheel thats warped, with no option of fixing it, if it were my project, I would take your new wheel and get some clear coat paint from the hardware store and give it a couple of coats, it will look like a stock wheel and will not rust, of course this is merely my advise, it's your bike ! but, I would definitely think twice about putting your new wheel in an oven......

I agree, you can't powder coat an assembled wheel, the rim must be coated separately. If your rims warp at 200 degrees, you need better rims!

You guys do realize only aluminium rims aneal at 400 degrees? my powdercoating is only 400 degrees. Unless you have personal experience, or honestly know what your talking about, don't say you know what to do. I talked to a guy who says he powder coats all his steel rims without problems.. Steel will not warp at 400 degrees. Aluminium or alloy rims will.

"I do know what I'm talking about" , first off, 200 degree's is not hot enough for the powder coat to be tough, It'll scratch easily, (Like you just said 400 sounds about right) I've been working with powder coated parts for many years, I wouldn't have made the comments if I were green on the subject, sorry if my dis-agreement with that other member tainted the thread. I was just trying to help, you might note that I mentioned steel as being not as vulnerable compared to aluminum. It's all good, and good luck with your wheel ! it should look trick !

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for being so rude. I mean i love people trying to help. But it drives me crazy when people claim to know things that they don't. I followed your advice, i think these rims being as heavy duty as they are would'v been fine but i really don't want to risk making them weaker. I coated them with a few coats of "clear enamal" to hopefully prevent the rust. I don't use this forum as much as others so i don't really know who knows what their talking about. I honestly didn't figure you had dealt with much powdercoating being a bicycle wheen vendor, thanks for the help, wheels look great with just the clear coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back