Cheap reed valve setup

Hello and thanks for that info really good work . How are you getting to cut the transfer ports ? Are you using a right angle grinder. And where can I find some of that reed material.

Hi V8!
Here's some pics of my mini-dremel. It uses up to 30V, which is the max that my DC power supply in the picture happens to put out. I also find the jeweler's cap very handy with it's different focus lenses. The little metal cutting/grinding bits work best because aluminum clogs up the grinder stone bit surfaces. I also used scotch tape to protect the surfaces of the cylinder while doing the work. You can usually find the carbon reed sheet at any scooter parts shop/internet shop. The reed valve in these pictures is from a Yamaha Jog.
I recommend you make the parts while driving on your working engine because it can take months of work to get it done. It's a good reason to have two engines. One to drive on and the other one to do mods on. Then you can change places and mod the other one. I didn't have a running engine since the summer of 2015, so as you see, this stuff takes tons of time. I'm kind of lazy too though =-)

very nice ! i might try make my own reed valve adapter after seeing this thanks lazy!

I'm considering the option of using a carbon cloth epoxy construction with some metal elements for any future reed boxes and perhaps even a homemade reed. Aluminum is hard to weld and the steel I used experienced lots of severe deformation in the process. The reed valve in these pictures is from a Yamaha Jog.

lazy you sure aren't lazy! that's a lot of work. I saw your video and can tell it's got some beefy power.
I'll bet it feels like a 100cc.

Hi Jaguar!
If I wasn't lazy it would have taken alot less than a year to put together. But like John Lennon said, "Life is what happens to you while you are making other plans". It's a real pleasure to drive. Especially in mid range, I like to quickly hit full throttle and then low throttle on-off-on-off-on-off, and lurch forward and lurch forward. Especially when I'm approaching a red light where lots of cars are waiting and I'm coming up on their right sides. It's funny. All the car drivers try to race me. I don't think I can beat cars and don't try to. I just accelerate fast to mid range. It's a fun machine for toolin around on holidays or just having fun, but I think it would not be the best for lots of commuting very far to work or the shop. Sometimes I wind it out, that's something new for me because none of my previous builds would wind out to very high speed. So I guess I got the main jet just about right. It wants to stutter at high mid range, but then it overcomes and finally continues to wind out. Maybe I will try one main jet size smaller. That air fuel mix screw turned out in the worst place though, right up close to the frame.
The Honda Lead 90, has a 50mm stroke and a 47mm bore. Almost 90cc's. It would be a stroker engine I would suppose though. It would take some calculations to figure out what conrod to use and the proper elevation of the cylinder to make it work.

Last edited:
What size main jet is in it? Your carb is 21mm, right?

It had a #92 when I purchased it but I couldn't get it to go into the high speed mode, it would bog when I tried to go higher than a certain speed. Then I installed the next size down that I have, it is a #89. I think I should try the #88 next. Yes, it's a 21mm PHBG Dellorto. The weather is bad and tons of stuff to get done right away. But I love to ride in the winter, so I will definitely get to it soon.

Back