Clutch keeps.. doing something.

Not exactly what I had in mind :p

Thanks though.

EDIT: To be clear what I need is a step by step clutch repair tutorial. Im really not that greatly techically minded but techically capable :p
I'm sure there's one on here somewhere i'm probably just not much good at searching.

I'm sure you will find out that replacing the whole unit might be the way to go. There are 58 "small" balls in the clutch and if you need to replace a few you might find them hard to find locally.

http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/images/engines/clutch-schematic.jpg

http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/co...age=vmj_ace.tpl&product_id=455&category_id=98

Last edited:
Hmm yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking too al. From the look of what I got in the repair kit im not even sure how youd get the main component 'open' heh.

I was told to use the puller tool that came with my kit, but I really cant work out how to use it.. took both bolts off both ends (the flower nut and the sprocket bolt) but it still seems just as sturdy as ever, and the puller doesnt seem to attach in any way to either side.

Hmm yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking too al. From the look of what I got in the repair kit im not even sure how youd get the main component 'open' heh.

I was told to use the puller tool that came with my kit, but I really cant work out how to use it.. took both bolts off both ends (the flower nut and the sprocket bolt) but it still seems just as sturdy as ever, and the puller doesnt seem to attach in any way to either side.

Remove the disc that moves in and out against the clutch pads. The the clutch pad holder will be on a threaded shaft secured with a nut and lock washer..remove both. Take your gear/wheel puller, remove the center bolt and screw the puller on to the shaft. Only one end will fit in to that shaft. MAKE SURE that the puller is screwed on as far as it should go (about 4 revolutions). Failure to do this can result in destroying the threads on the puller, and or the clutch hub. This cheap tools and components WILL cross thread very easily...be careful. Take a socket or wrench, (22mm or a 13/16" and thread and tighten into the clutch hub, may need a screwdriver wedged between pin and socket. Now take the shaft to the tool and screw it into the center of puller. Take 14mm wrench and tighten that threaded shaft as tight as you can holding puller with 22mm wrench. Take a hammer and strike the shaft of the tool, tighten some more, strike with hammer...repeat till removal is accomplished.

Last edited:
Ok great! I managed to remove that part, but it all looks ok (the clutch pads maybe a little dirty but very grippy still).

Do I need to take out all these screws to take out the central part?

PS: Sorry its taken ages to get back to you, but just haven't had much free time. :)

Sorry, to clarify: I have removed the largest gear with the clutch pads on it, and I am now left with a shaft within the central metal casing, with the thread of the central shaft pushed all the way in (almost) as to release the big gear as per your previous post.

So now that gear is off, but the remover doesn't seem to be banging out that shaft (if it is intended to even)

Yeah, just had another look at it.. Banged the actual shaft directly and it moved inward a bit, but its no longer budging at all. Not sure what to do!

The large shaft can only be removed by splitting the case. The shaft in the center of the nut (1st picture above) slides back and forth with the pull of the clutch arm.Push it in and pull clutch handle..the shaft should come out. That is what contacts the flywheel to move it away from the clutch pads (disengage clutch). That shaft can be lubed by removing the clutch guide post in the engine valley. There are seals on either end of that shaft.

To be clear what I need is a step by step clutch repair tutorial. Im really not that greatly techically minded but techically capable :p
I'm sure there's one on here somewhere i'm probably just not much good at searching.

All I have to say is.....open your eyes when you search. Or when others direct you to pictures or threads.

LOOK HERE!!!

Back