Exhaust DEI Exhaust Wrap - advice?

Lorin

Local time
6:03 PM
Hello & DEI Exhaust Wrap - advice?

Hello All,
Mine is an 80cc engine from Powerking on a Giant Mountain bike. As everyone of these things is a really custom job and I'm a novice when it comes to gear-headedness, I had dude with his own shop install mine. He had to smash the frame to get the front mount on and take the front derailleur off, which sucked - but the engine runs great and I'm very pleased. I've ridden it up to the local video/ grocery store and I'm getting LOTS of stares. I'm definitely the first person in my city to cruise around on one of these. (I'm south of Nashville in Spring Hill, TN)

My question is about exhaust wrap. I ordered 15 feet of DEI wrap. I searched and found several threads talking about exhaust modifications, but I didn't see any that talked about using this particular kind of wrap. Has anyone used this? Is it tough getting it wrapped around the neck above the expansion chamber? Do you have to use a silicon spray? Any other tips?

Last edited:
Also, this thing jerks and sputters quite a bit at low speeds. It seems like it's gotten worse since I first got it. I keep going back and forth on the idle trying to find a sweet spot, but without success. Is there something else I'm not thinking of? Should I be concerned?

HI Lorin,

Slow speed jerking is somewhat "normal" (if you have ever driven a stick shift car or truck
imagine trying to drive it in second gear at a very slow speed....it will jerk too or stall out....same basic thing happening when you run really slow with a motored bike)..If you want to travel predominantly at slow speeds you will need to get a larger sprocket for the rear.

Header wrap is used sometimes on cars to reduce under hood temps, reduce burns when working under the hood, and is supposed to help scavenge the exhaust because the exhaust remains hotter for a longer time...

Hope this helps you....Have fun and ride safely.

Andrew

hey i did this mod! heres a photo

wraped it for looks, and if it adds performance, even better!
IMG_7251.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7251.jpg
    IMG_7251.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 674
I put a 2" bend, extension, and tip along with welding extra baffles inside the 2" pipe. then i wrapped it all the way back with that exact wrap. it looks great and sounds very throaty and also keeps the heat off of my back tire. i routed the pipe before i wrapped it so i was sure that the pipe cleared the pedals. Ill try to insert a picture. did you decide to use the silicone spray? im still contemplating it...

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4516/0108102229.jpg

A friend of mine used this wrap on his race car. After a few years his headers literally disintegrated with little cracks all over the primary tubes- like glass.
We think the heat cycles and the extreme heat the wrapped pipes get up to are what caused the wreckage.
Needless to say, no one in his group of friends uses the heat tape and I don't recall anyone at the 2 tracks I used to go to using it either.
Probably, on the little engines we use, the pipe will last a lot longer, but this is a "Heads up" on the pipe wrap.

Heat Wrap

I put heat wrap on my expansion chamber, at first I wraped a few raps around and tied it off with tie wire then wraped the whole thing and at the end I tied it down with tie wire. Leaving the tie wire on I got slow cure epoxi and epoxied both ends where the tie wire was, holds good and a little quiter. About the jerking, mine does that to, even at 20 so I think Im getting to much gas, its got good power when I give it gas, but when I let up it jerks again. Thinking of moving the C-clip up one notch. Havent done it yet

This wrap will do NOTHING to make your exhaust quieter. All it does is help dissipate the heat, and keep you from burning yourself on the hot pipe/
I think it's a waste of money myself because the last time i looked at a package of that stuff it was $50.00.

Back