Electric Bicycle Road Racer (R&D)

Just a thought...when NASCAR started they raced what they had, one simple rule....cross the finish line first to win. I tire quickly of discussions on rules and formation of a sport that has yet to show enough interest to have a single stand alone race. To me, right now, Electric bicycle racing is a parasite on IC Bicycle racing.

Ask yourself one question....did the guy's with motored bikes try to enter Bicycle races or did they start their own with what they had.
Maybe it is far past time for the OHM heads to put up or shut up and finally hold their own race. Really one year is enough talking.....and You have been at it how long? And how much space on servers has been wasted? How many hours on the track?
Really at this point you have killed it and now you are :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Maybe it is far past time for the OHM heads to put up or shut up and finally hold their own race.

I am unsure what a OHM is? There is
a World Challenge e-bike only race in the planing stages
now on Endless Sphere. I would suggest anyone with interest in running check
that out, it has no limit on power i think they are impossing a 70lb weight limit though apart from that its run what you brung.

p.s i love the beating dead horse emotion hahahaa very true to...and he been beating since 2007 apparently.. wait for next reply he will have another page long post about the rules and why it should be so haha

editing post:- In regards to the death race, the organisers spooky tooth sell electric kits so i dont see why they shouldnt be allowed to compete against IC bicycles, from all accounts the one ebike rider at the death race was well accepted by everyone, which is good for the hobby, i see no reason why both parties can't get along we have a common interest in powered bicycles

Last edited:
Racing Horses Aren't Dead

As AussieJester... I mean pedalless has said... I've literally been beating the dead horse of EBRR since about 2007. Now obviously if it was REALLY DEAD back then we wouldn't be seeing the Balkanization of racing classes we are now.

It really got going when the ePower Racing Series began at the Portland International Raceway a couple of years ago. (2008?) They are mostly a group of recumbents and despite my best efforts to "convert" them to the 1000 Watt Limiting rule they chose something that actually (honestly) fits their needs better. Too much speed in the corners with those streamliner recumbents and they will crash and the sponsors went with Battery Capacity Limiting instead. I was naturally "upset" at the time, but eventually I accepted it because it's the right decision for their needs. They did adopt the 1000 watt limit for the motors, so I guess I did have some effect.

So that was "Racing Class Number One" and those are real races on a real racetrack entirely independent of anyone else.

Later on we got this sort of messed up situation where the gas powered motorized bikes at the "Death Race" started being challenged by the electric in a sort of macho contest. That created the second racing category which is to allow "whatever it takes" for electric to beat the gas bikes. It's clearly "crashing the party" because the true spirit of that race is to use gas powered bikes.

Further still the same people that wanted to be "invincible" on electric bicycles then realized that the eventual PINO destination was going to produce 200-300 lb ebikes as more and more power would demand bigger batteries, stronger frames, etc until the bikes would be in effect motorcycles. So they created a sort of "Lite" series with a weight limit. This seems mostly to try to reign in the costs and keep the machines closer to resembling bicycles.

All electric bikes sold in the US are limited in the same way as the 1000 Watt Limiting rule. The laws are actually more vague about what is allowed and the 1000 watt rule simply clarifies things more and opens the way for a dedicated circuit to be built. So in effect every ebike ever produced in the US is automatically in the 1000 Watt Limiting rule class already. When it comes to "what has the largest installed base of machines" the 1000 Watt Limiting class dwarfs anything else and that's likely to never change.

----------------------------

The "bottom line" is that the actual ebikes that are able to be sold will remain inside the 1000 Watt Limiting rule forever. What isn't happening yet is for there to be an actual race for stock ebikes.

It's really early in the process I think... I would not be at all surprised if it takes 10 years before ebike racing becomes high profile. So we can just relax and continue to monitor progress and hope for the best.

EBRR is alive and well... (and now at least three years old)

Last edited:
Time for adults

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!
Why is every one "Pileing on"?
Where would we be today if Safe had not invented Bicycles? (& then electric bicycles):geek:
This is not the way Adults should talk on the internet. I am still of the opinion that Safe has much to contribute to the world of electric Bicycling. Just because he ignores every one & makes no effort to evaluate & respond to legit points of order, its no reason to use terse verbage & degrading insults.

Please try to be helpfull & find a link to a sight that can help this guy comunicate without coming accross like a total A-hole. (he can't be as crankish IRL as he portrys in these forums, some one woulda killed him years ago. I think its just a writing style)

Frankly, I would think the "POPE" of E-bikeing would comand a bit more respect. Especialy in this pagan time of motored bikeing feudalism.

This rightous "Crusade" is providing all of us something we can't comprehend yet (puny mortals that we are).......I have faith our Lord (safe) will reveal all things, when we mortals aquire the capacity & strength to handle the TRUTH, as it pertains to e-bikes.

I respectfully ask that you please, don't "tap the glass" & leave Safe to his yap yap yaping about any & every thing....

Just a fat/old, dirty riders random thoughts......this is a thead for random thoughts isn't it?
Back on topic!

False Starts?

The history of BMX had many false starts as far as organizing bodies. Cycling has also had it's own share and even Electric Motorcycle Road Racing has seen it's fair share of Balkanization.

I don't mind people complaining about what I post.

But you might try making an ACTUAL ARGUMENT that attempts to refute what I'm saying rather than going on the personal attacks.

We live in a Balkanized EBRR world now. ePower got the ball rolling by knowingly making a racing class that specifically encouraged recumbents over other more aggressive bike designs. So if we want to talk about "original sin" then it has to be pointed there.

Arizona, the "Death Race" and ES... well... throw in two more racing classes that will never make it to mass production.

---------------------------------

Bill Gates

When I was really into the computer scene the stories were all about how Bill Gates had ARGUED FORCEFULLY that software needed to be patentable so that companies could sell software and make a profit. Prior to Bill Gates no one even had the vision of a "software industry" and assumed that software came with the computer. Once Bill Gates secured software from threat of theft it opened the door to the most explosive growth the computer industry ever saw. We are still benefiting from the very thing Bill Gates did for us. (thanks Bill)

My argument for making EBRR as street legal as possible runs along the same line of thinking as Bill Gates. We cannot expect that EBRR will ever amount to much until the major bicycle manufacturers get into it in a big way and mass produce the machines for us. As far as making a profit personally in EBRR that's tough to do. I used to work at a bike shop and know that the profit margins are some of the lowest in any retail business. So I don't think anyone is going to get "rich" selling EBRR, but being able to at least be moderately rewarded for good work would be nice.

So my focus is on EBRR as a "growth industry" and not so much any kind of selfish racer perspective or really even significant profits. EBRR growth is in effect "entertainment" for me. (growth is the one thing missing in todays economy)

From my perspective things are proceeding well in EBRR... not perfect...

(in 2007 no one even cared... so active debate and controversy is better than nothing)

---------------------------------

scaled_e1262200244.jpg

When Alberto Contador wins the Tour de France he rides on a Specialized bike which will then promote more sales of that bike to the public. Ideally EBRR will have the same kind of effect where you might watch the sport on VERSUS some day and see someone win on a bike and then people go out and buy it. If EBRR retains some connection to legal ebikes the general public will have access to close to the same bike as the racers use.

(I was rooting for Andy Schleck... maybe next year)

Last edited:
Bill Gates is a thief.

Windows was a two bit shell stolen from Apple.
The underlying os was CPM .
Think tron.
In 2000 the CPM os went Public Domain.
Gates crapped himself.
That is why Mickeysoft claimed to spend billions on Windows Vista.
Windows Vista and os 7 are stolen kernels from DEC with Apple's stolen window shell.

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm

Sorry, I figured all electrical minded people would know.

As i am a motorcycle mechanic and more acustomed to IC motors
i would not call myself electrical minded, lucky for me hub motor kit come with plug and play setup, thankyou for definition.

p.s thing i was right on was safe contued on like nobody said anythinig, i read his 500watt unite thread i know his ways well. He ask for not insult to him but refruit what he say haha funny that is when anyone does he ignores and carries on like nobody posted, just look at last 3 threads anytime someone did put forward why it wont work he ignores this. He is unstoppable shuld call him tornado safe maybe haha

Last edited:
what!? troll or serious? safe has two of these bikes, there are many
pictures of them he has been at this for a long time i been told. A search
on Endless Sphere bought up the worklog of the second bike, its actually nice
work Safe you have some very nice skills pitty you like to ramble on all the time haha

As said before in other 1000watt EBRR thread, i can't see anyone
taking to this and have been prooved correct, there isn't
anyone but safe interested in 1000watt e-bicycle racing. On
Endless Sphere they are also making discussion about rules
for racing, 1000watt was laughed at and quickly dismissed,
and no safe, not everyone there is into big outlaw power as you say
don't start up on that like you did in other thread
If you can't get a dedicated electric bicycle forum to take
to the idea, your wasting your time here safe i believe.
I know this won't stop you, we will see many more pages of the same
information but simply repeating that you want this 1000watt EBRR
isn't going to miraculously make people buy into it either safe
you are persistent i give you that man.

I don't have time to be a troll. In fact, if he'd make a thread about how to build one of these 1000w bikes and go in detail, over the parts and assembly, I bet he'd get a lot of people to read and gain knowledge here.

I for one am interested.

Problem being, is try to get an answer out of him.

He did an excellent job of designing battery pack from nmh's, but ask him anything else and he's more worried about trying to sound like the professor from Gilligans Island.

Educate people if your that smart Safe! There's pleanty of us who'd be willing to charge a 500w bike with a harbor frieght solar pannel! Speed and racing could wait till latter! Help everbody here understand electric first!

Back