Getting a tag in Fla

Several years ago, a bill passed the Ala. House that would change the Al DMV Code to allow MB (with restrictions) to be classified as a bicycle. The bill died in the Ala. Senate and my efforts to resurrect it fell on deaf ears. I somehow was under the impression that it was based on similar legislation in Fl. Don't know why I thought that.

Anyone that doubts kawasaki999's claim of registration, needs to read this two year old post.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=13874&highlight=florida+bicycle+law

This is no DMV code anywhere that states you can register a bicycle with a gas engine on it as a "motorized bicycle". Like one of the other members have said, There was (is) no "language" in the DMV computer to describe a "motorized bicycle"

Another example of this type of confusion iis this... In my town, there is a law stating that you MUST register your bicycle with the town AND PAY $1 for registration and you are supposed to receive a "bicycle" registration/plate. When I went to the town hall to inquire, they pushed me over to the local sheriff's dept, where I spoke to the sherriff that (originally) did that stuff. He told me that there is no longer that "option" in their computer system to register bicycles anymore. Even though the local ordinance demands it by law, there is no way to accomplish this feat.

There ARE some towns that STILL do registrations of BICYCLES (regular and electric, not gas) for the purposes of theft prevention. (re: Ft. Lauderdale) but those are done through those local municipalities and has NOTHING to do with the DMV or the State/Town roadway laws.
(If there is still a county in Florida that allows for bicycle registrations though the Sherriff's dept for that county, I have not found it yet {nor is it available in my specific county})

Very good points but you seem to argue with your self....which is it, can it be registerd or not.

Other's have said, that they have recently (within the past 6 mos.) gotten their gas bicycles (mopeds) registered, but until we see the registration proof, it's just anecdotal.

anecdotal:characterized by or consisting of anecdotes.

anecdote: a short amusing story.

Not sure the adjective fits.
Could it not also be applied to what you are saying? I made the portions in question bold.

I was stating in the first part that you quoted, how convoluted the laws are out there, but for the purposes of your question...
I know for a fact, that there is NO law that states, that you can register a gas powered BICYCLE as a Moped.
Mopeds have DOT approved tires for one thing, something that just isn't out there for your standard bicycle, so that's only one of many "problems" with registering a Bicycle as a moped, whether it has a gas engine or not.
(If you ARE able to get it registered as such, you are "lucky", however, it is NOT LEGAL.)

There was even a PDF that was sent out to the DMV's that stated that you can not register a bicycle with a gas engine on it.
Here it is right from the FLORIDA GOVERNMENT HSMV website...

http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-10.PDF

Here is the pertinent excerpt with the important part bolded...

3. Scenario: A company is advertising on TV a gas engine kit that can be added to a bicycle. The engine is tied into the pedal system like a Moped and it has to be pedaled to start the engine. It is advertised that the bicycle will be propelled to 30MPH.

Q. How is the tax collector supposed to register this bicycle/gas engine assembly?

A. The definition of bicycle under s. 316.003(2), F.S., includes motorized bicycles. Bicycles are not registered or titled. Engine kits for bicycles are not new and there are a variety of kits available, however, they remain bicycles after the engine kit is installed. There are other requirements that must be met to be classified as a motorcycle/scooter/moped such as frame assembly and safety features. If a customer brings in paperwork for a bicycle, they cannot be legally issued a title or registration nor is it required. The agent should also direct the customer to law enforcement if there are any questions as to where the motorized bicycle can be used.

Last edited:
Anecdotal evidence:

A limited selection of examples which support or refute an argument, but which are not supported by scientific or statistical analysis.

Ok...again, you say it is not legal but others have done it and you admitt that they have done it. So again, can it be registered or not? Simple yes or no.

Anecdotal evidence:

A limited selection of examples which support or refute an argument, but which are not supported by scientific or statistical analysis.

OK off topic but pertenant. I accept Kerf's definition...(mine was from Webster's, I never trust anything Wiki) Using that definition you do admit that you are falling into the catagory that you ascribe to others, right?

One other problem....humorous does not equal amusing.

Ok...again, you say it is not legal but others have done it and admit that they have done it. So again, can it be registered or not? Simple yes or no.

First of all, I don't say it's illegal, the DMV/HSMV says it illegal.
Second, it IS simple.
Please re-read my post that has the PDF in it, that should answer your question.
(hint: the answer is the bolded section that I "highlighted")
So you don't miss it.. here it is again....

There are other requirements that must be met to be classified as a motorcycle/scooter/moped such as frame assembly and safety features. If a customer brings in paperwork for a bicycle, they cannot be legally issued a title or registration nor is it required

Just like anything else, the law TRIES to be as specific as possible, alot of times, it's just hard to pin-point the specifics...
I have looked for the specifics as to what "classifies" as "frame assembly" or "safety features" for a moped, I have not found it in the Florida statutes, however, that doesn't mean it ain't there, it's just not easily found. It might be in a section totally unrelated to mopeds.. Who knows?
All I know is that to ME, one of the "safety features" COULD mean, DOT approved tires.. Just remember that the DOT and HSMV (supposedly) work "hand to hand" with each other and all of these things are (supposedly) spelled out somewhere.

The DMV/HSMV says you can't register a bicycle with gas engine as moped, but somebody has done it, so draw your own conclusions. I can't tell you what or how the DMV/HSMV/DOT (personel) think, since i'm not in charge of them. :)

P.S. (MY "anecdotal evidence" was for illustration purposes, used as an analogy to show how convoluted the laws on the books are. The "anecdotal evidence" that i was questioning, had to do with PROOF of the most recent registration of a gas bicycle as a moped.)

P.P.S. Now a bit Off topic... Anyone who rides ANYTHING that does NOT conform to the laws, IS doing something ILLEGAL, as an example, If I had not installed 2 Cycle Analysts (one for each of the TWO motors) on my electric bicycle,, which I have installed to LIMIT the TOP SPEED to 20mph of my bicycle, it would be considered a MOPED for Driver's Licensing statutes, and since i dont have a license, I have spent the extra $300 installing those CA's, so that I can STAY LEGAL.
If somone states their gas bicycle is able to achieve a speed greater than 30mph or has an engine higher than 2 brake horsepower or larger than 50CCs (ESPECIALLY if it's registered as a MOPED), then they are doing something illegal... Now it may seem "self righteous" since, I don't have a license, but you have to understand, legal is legal and illegal is illegal, no matter what MY OPINION IS.

Last edited:
So the DMV says its illegal to register a motored bike. (your highlighted portion referred to a bicycle....that is not what we have.)
Again, you have said it is simple.....Your next response needs to be either a 2 letter word or a 3 letter word. Nothing more.

Can a motorized bicycle be registered in Florida?
Please one word. Two or three letters.

Reading material while you think...first start with fourm rules, then read about infractions. Then read about bogus posting. Then read your posts here and tell me what you would do.
Just a few examples:
Unfortunately, there is no law written anywhere that I could find.

However, MANY people have tried to get them registered and 99.9% of the time, they get turned away by the DMV personel.
Others have posted pics.
So you have no proof, other than your word.... I would love to see and KNOW WHAT you registered it as?
Hmmmm, you might want a refresher course on the rules.
Still waiting to hear from any "gas guy" who can do 35 mph, is fast and can go 117 miles on one fil up... Until then... I'll stick with my Electric, with Directionals, brake lights, Radio, speakers, sub, amp, CB radio, cigarette lighter, neon lights, 12 v accessories ports, etc, etc, etc..
You asked for an off topic example, and it was given to you.
Then you went back on topic:
p
Do you have a 2 gal tank on there? I thought most tanks were only 1 gal and only got about 80mpg?

And please correct me if I'm wrong, all you guys who registered your bike, registered them as Mopeds?
Bait and Switch.

Think about it.

Back