Look at this!!!

That is attesting to you having your jetting close.
If an engine starts without choke and runs fine, you are too rich.
Those big steel crank cheeks stay cold for a long time, at least a mile I find.

Steve

I have to start mine with choke.

Jetting close (???) Explain this to this fairly newbie.

I think jetting close means jetting as lean as you can without causing engine damage. The leaner you go the better they run till you go to far then big bata boom. When a engine is cold it runs leaner till it warms up so if it is jetted lean you have to richen it up with the choke. If yours needs the choke then I'll bet when you first start it and turn off the choke If you crack the throttle wide open real fast it bawks for a fraction of a second then grabs quick rpm, and takes a long time to die back down. As long as it doesn't have the bawk after it is warmed up I guess that is close.

I think jetting close means jetting as lean as you can without causing engine damage. The leaner you go the better they run till you go to far then big bata boom. When a engine is cold it runs leaner till it warms up so if it is jetted lean you have to richen it up with the choke. If yours needs the choke then I'll bet when you first start it and turn off the choke If you crack the throttle wide open real fast it bawks for a fraction of a second then grabs quick rpm, and takes a long time to die back down. As long as it doesn't have the bawk after it is warmed up I guess that is close.

Nope, mine just balks until it warms up.

Lol I often have to race to switch my choke off right after starting it or else I gotta start it again with the choke off (won't fire more than once choke on). Think I'm running a little on the rich side but I'll take a slight dip in power and less gas mileage to lengthen the life of my motor. All I risk is fouling my plug, correct?

Back