Look at this!!!

Lol I often have to race to switch my choke off right after starting it or else I gotta start it again with the choke off (won't fire more than once choke on). Think I'm running a little on the rich side but I'll take a slight dip in power and less gas mileage to lengthen the life of my motor. All I risk is fouling my plug, correct?

Overly rich jetting does not lengthen the life of your motor.
It just moves you further from the lean zone. This is a help if temperatures take a sudden dip, but otherwise no.
It does risk plug fouling, and carboning up your rings and chamber. Just a little rich is no big deal.
A whole lot rich starts to be a problem.

As you know, your oil is in your fuel, right? The oil does the lubricating, not so much the fuel.
So you'd think more fuel would be better lube, right? Wrong.
You engine is counting on the fuel to evaporate to carry heat away from the bearings and cylinder wall.
Once evaporated it leaves a film of oil.
If there too much fuel, it doesn't evaporate on the hot surfaces, it just washes what ever oil film away, as solvents do.

Steve

Overly rich jetting does not lengthen the life of your motor.
It just moves you further from the lean zone. This is a help if temperatures take a sudden dip, but otherwise no.
It does risk plug fouling, and carboning up your rings and chamber. Just a little rich is no big deal.
A whole lot rich starts to be a problem.

As you know, your oil is in your fuel, right? The oil does the lubricating, not so much the fuel.
So you'd think more fuel would be better lube, right? Wrong.
You engine is counting on the fuel to evaporate to carry heat away from the bearings and cylinder wall.
Once evaporated it leaves a film of oil.
If there too much fuel, it doesn't evaporate on the hot surfaces, it just washes what ever oil film away, as solvents do.

Steve

Good thing I run a 4 stroke now, just like to poke around in the 2 stroke forums sometimes to try to help where I can :p. Never thought about what excess fuel does to the oil mixture, good to point that out.

Good thing I run a 4 stroke now, just like to poke around in the 2 stroke forums sometimes to try to help where I can :p. Never thought about what excess fuel does to the oil mixture, good to point that out.

4 strokes do the same thing. Overly rich fuel mixture washes oil from the rings.
Coasting with the engine engaged but spark off does the same thing.

Steve

I love to coast clutch in when coming down off the mountain here only thing is the chain whip is different and I dont go over 80kph because thats where it seems to get a little noisy and starts me thinking no more lol.

Back