New CDI and coil combo for racing available!

the dyno is on its way. had issues with using even a trucks 24 volt alternator as the load... at 100amps, thats still only 2400watts...(just over 3hp). i need twice that power rating so the thing doesnt fry itself, at least! so i has been fiddling with eddy current brakes with good results :) much easier.

ahem, regards "copying" circuits... http://homemadecircuitsandschematics.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/homemade-fence-charger-energizer.html

the rohmell cdi or the original HT ignition circuit... http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/comparesimplecdi.jpg/

and the fancy version with the CR retard circuit... http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/redrnsimplecdi.jpg/

the same basic discharge circuit? i believe so :) bunch of diodes, a cap, and a thyristor...

myself and others have touched on this before, but...basically all "we" do with "our" cdi circuts is add some resistance and capacitance to the trigger side of the thyristor... CR circuit simply being how long it takes a cap to reach 66% charge with a given resistance at a given voltage. this "delays" or retards the spark. simple. rudimentary. basic. not as advanced as a digital type circuit, and not as stable.

what you want is a true digital circuit, that does away with CR altogether... phase locked loop. comparators. flipflops... so many different ways to do it!

me myself i... i believe you CANT design and market a "superior" type of ignition circuit WITHOUT some type of evaluation, ie...a dyno!

(by the way, does the HD use a PCB or veroboard?)

seat of the pants is for tuning carbs. dynos are for ensuring that ignition occuring when it occurs is beneficial and not just wishful thinking.

thats my theory anyway.

or maybe i just like the idea of sitting down, tweaking a variable resisitor and swapping caps while watching a strain guage/tacho, rather than the effort of starting, riding, warming up, testing, going back to before, testing, retesting, pedalling home cus you forgot to test something... :giggle:

Last edited:
the dyno is on its way. had issues with using even a trucks 24 volt alternator as the load... at 100amps, thats still only 2400watts...(just over 3hp). i need twice that power rating so the thing doesnt fry itself, at least! so i has been fiddling with eddy current brakes with good results :) much easier.

ahem, regards "copying" circuits... http://homemadecircuitsandschematics.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/homemade-fence-charger-energizer.html

the rohmell cdi or the original HT ignition circuit... http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/comparesimplecdi.jpg/

and the fancy version with the CR retard circuit... http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/redrnsimplecdi.jpg/

the same basic discharge circuit? i believe so :) bunch of diodes, a cap, and a thyristor...

ive touched on this before, but...basically all "we" do with "our" cdi circuts is add some resistance and capacitance to the trigger side of the thyristor... CR circuit simply being how long it takes a cap to reach 66% charge with a given resistance at a given voltage. this "delays" or retards the spark. simple. rudimentary. basic. not as advanced as a digital type circuit, and not as stable.

me myself i... i believe you CANT design and market a "superior" type of ignition circuit WITHOUT some type of evaluation, ie...a dyno!

(by the way, does the HD use a PCB or veroboard?)

seat of the pants is for tuning carbs. dynos are for ensuring that ignition occuring when it occurs is beneficial and not just wishful thinking.

thats my theory anyway.

Agreed............!

Dodge, no "facts" have been thrown at me. I keep asking for them but Huffy, in his attempt to cover the fact that his is just a copy of my old Jaguar CDI (with a smaller timing capacitor), refuses to demonstrate any proof that he has a better design or a more unique design. My new design approximates a digital CDI which is what all good racers use. That is because at high RPM the ignition timing of a regular analog CDI quickly retards too much which in effect is an RPM limiter.

Bahramu, the HD is the same as my old Jaguar but with a smaller capacitor in the timing circuit which makes it better for high RPM engines. But not as good as my new model which has a newly invented design upgrade.

Mapbike, it sounds like you have a modified engine that revs high (over 8000). My old Jaguar was not designed for race engines, only for stock or slightly modified engines. Only the new one which I am just starting to make is made for race engines. And bringing a bike to the races will not prove anything becuase, as I am now repeating, each engine is different. You have to try the two CDIs on the same engine. Headsmess has the best idea with testing the two with a dyno.

Looking at the graph below of ignition timing curves you can see how my new design extends the RPM by 1300 (assuming the engine power greatly lessens with less than 6 degrees BTDC ignition timing)
test.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Jag, I'm ready to try both CDI's on my motor at the race but only if we can test your new CDI. You already admit your old model is worse for high RPM so we need to pit your new one against the HD

Dodge, no "facts" have been thrown at me. I keep asking for them but Huffy, in his attempt to cover the fact that his is just a copy of my old Jaguar CDI (with a smaller timing capacitor), refuses to demonstrate any proof that he has a better design or a more unique design. My new design approximates a digital CDI which is what all good racers use. That is because at high RPM the ignition timing of a regular analog CDI quickly retards too much which in effect is an RPM limiter.

Bahramu, the HD is the same as my old Jaguar but with a smaller capacitor in the timing circuit which makes it better for high RPM engines. But not as good as my new model which has a newly invented design upgrade.

Mapbike, it sounds like you have a modified engine that revs high (over 8000). My old Jaguar was not designed for race engines, only for stock or slightly modified engines. Only the new one which I am just starting to make is made for race engines. And bringing a bike to the races will not prove anything becuase, as I am now repeating, each engine is different. You have to try the two CDIs on the same engine. Headsmess has the best idea with testing the two with a dyno.
True, no facts. Granted, you haven't put yours on a dyno or on a race engine either. And seeing as his works with race engines and you're just now getting around to adapting yours for it I don't see how it's a copy, because it it were, he'd have done it AFTER you put out your updated CDI.
:rolleyes:

Dodge, I said his was a copy of my "old" design but with a smaller timing capacitor. That works for good power at high RPM but causes the ignition to be too advanced at RPMs below the peak RPM. That is why race engines dont use analog CDIs. Think of what the RPM range is used at the race track. Other than at the start the engine is at about half speed at the apex of most turns and then revs on up to peak RPM between turns if there is enough distance. So if an engine revs up to 9000 then its range is from 4500 to 9000. The HD and my old design with a smaller capacitor will both be good at top rpm but lower in power at lower RPMs. Only a digital CDI or an analog CDI with my new modification can maintain the right timing at the mid range RPMs. Look at the green timing curve and see how it is excessively advanced from 4000 on till peak RPM. But it is the same as my newest design at peak RPM. On a multi-geared bike at a drag strip they would be about equal.
test2.gif

sidenote...i got a friend interested in this circuit... well, we brainstormed various ways to achieve all this... heh heh heh.

lets just say...if you know how fast the voltage is rising...you can calculate the rpm. then you can calculate or pick from a list, the ideal (preset?) advance ...for that rpm... and the firing time becomes completely independent to the "trigger voltage".

now thats digital, and thats copywriteable ;) and thats (almost) exactly what the ecu in your car does...

more than one way to skin a cat!

(sorry, i had to throw that in! :giggle:)

Dodge, you can only copyright things that are "unique", not just obvious improvements such as what I did to the Kawasaki CDI to make it compatible with this engine.

Dodge, you can only copyright things that are "unique", not just obvious improvements such as what I did to the Kawasaki CDI to make it compatible with this engine.
Then what are you b1tching for? lol

He claims it's better, a bunch of people like them. Woopdeefreaking do. lol

Back