Two speed Staton

I could work but not without some modifications. The output shaft is to short to accept three sprockets. If one could machine an adapter that would handle three sprockets and still work on the shaft, or install a longer shaft, it could work.

Too bad,it's allways the details that do you in,it would be super to get more range if you go to all the trouble of crafting a derailleur based gear shift.At least in my part of the country.Couldn't you rework&cannibalize a Shimano rear cluster&hub?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything can be done but practicality dictates restraint. I based my design around my own needs and available components. If you're looking for gear range, one needs build nothing as Staton's NuVinci hub can give all the range needed in a proven package. Doing your own fab work is fun but "it ain't free". Parts and materials cost money and there comes a point of diminishing return.

Quite true,why look for dragons to slay if you don't have too.I have a NV hub and am quite pleased with it so far.But the whole shebang adds up to around a kilobuck,which might be off-putting to a lot of folks.Wether you save a lot with a derailleur based system remains to be seen,but a 2:1 range would be quite adequate for a lot of riders if you could get it inexpensively and it worked OK.

kerf,

I'm mulling over buying a NuVinci hub, but unsure if it'd fit into my cruiser frame. Besides, I'd have to buy Staton's inside drive box and rig up different rear brakes. I already have the outside drive box, so your 2-speed would be all I need.

One-two shift is all I need.

5-7

If a 23% change in gearing is all you're looking for, fine.It looks rather small potatoes to me for all the work that goes into it.May be you can get a wider range to work, or a 3 speed,17/13 would be 30%,19/13, 46% ,or a 3 speed setupThe NV has a 3.50 ratio.More than you need really.

Duivendyk, I believe it would cost much less to fab all hardware, lengthen the drive shaft and machine for c-clips for 3 sprockets, than buy the NV kit.
If I already had the inside drive box, I'd be more inclined to consider the NV hub, even tho it adds more weight.(I have to carry the bike up 2 flights, and I'm a senior citizen.)

5-7

That thing is HEAVY, I used to carry my bike up from my basement with ease,no more !,it's now residing under my deck, that's been my principal beef with the Staton NV.I used to work in aerospace where excess weight is an unpardonable SIN

I started with a 14 tooth output sprocket and found great torque but I didn't like the cruise. Went to a 15 tooth and liked it much better but still wanted less revs so I came up with this idea. I strapped on a 16 and went through a learning curve with an engine that doesn't wake up till you're over 6k. The 16 handles my riding conditions (weight, terrain) about 95% of the time so long as you keep speed on the high end. On the flats I can run 6K but when it get hilly 7-8K is a must, thats fine with me. There are times, such as mountains or rough roads when that 23% increase in torque serves me well enough. I guess I'm just a simple man or maybe a simpleton, don't know. Well it's almost 5:30 and the road awaits, later.

Back