1000 mile trip

INTP_ty

Local time
11:34 PM
I don’t think I’ve gone any further than 70 miles one way with my China-girl kit.

Which set up would you guys recommend for a long distance trip? I’m thinking a steel drop loop frame, works man wheels, 3” wide tires, a motor cycle style seat, & maybe a 4 stroke?

A cruise speed of 50 mph would be nice.

Predator 80cc
Honda GC160
Morini -but man these things are simply too loud!

Or about a dozen china girl motors haha

Well that all would do it, bring lots of spare innertubes, a china girl can do 1k, just expect something stupid to happen like a ring blowing up for no reason.

I’m going to push my luck in the spring & take it to Fargo 250mi

I’m going to bring a spare top end & cross my fingers

Oh, you ever been to Antler? 250 miles doesn't seem bad, I think in a situation sorta like this maybe just carry a spare running engine, not just top end, they are actually quite compact and don't weigh much, especially considering you have an engine that couldn't care less about an extra 15 pounds.

I say just "run what you brung". You have a Chinese 2-stroke, did it break during your seventy mile trips? 1000 miles is just 14.3 seventy mile trips. :)

Idk about the 3" tyres. What part of Australia are you crossing? Lol. I would think it's safer to stick with something you can pedal effectively if the engine does fail. Also going to get better gas milage on 1.5" so that's something to think about.

I would consider carrying more than the usual spares. A whole spare engine chain. Maybe a cylinder, piston and head. Maybe leave a whole spare engine with someone so they can mail it out to you post restante and you can pick it up from the next post office you'll be passing on your route. :)

Apart from that there's the stuff that touring cyclists carry. Use decent wheels but carry spare spokes and a FibreFix spoke repair kit. Spare tubes of course, chain lube obviously, first aid kit.. all the usual things for a 1000 mile bicycle tour.

Last edited:
I say just "run what you brung". You have a Chinese 2-stroke, did it break during your seventy mile trips? 1000 miles is just 14.3 seventy mile trips. :)

Idk about the 3" tyres. What part of Australia are you crossing? Lol. I would think it's safer to stick with something you can pedal effectively if the engine does fail. Also going to get better gas milage on 1.5" so that's something to think about.

I would consider carrying more than the usual spares. A whole spare engine chain. Maybe a cylinder, piston and head. Maybe leave a whole spare engine with someone so they can mail it out to you post restante and you can pick it up from the next post office you'll be passing on your route. :)

Apart from that there's the stuff that touring cyclists carry. Use decent wheels but carry spare spokes and a FibreFix spoke repair kit. Spare tubes of course, chain lube obviously, first aid kit.. all the usual things for a 1000 mile bicycle tour.
Fargo is in North Dakota, like 300 miles away from antler, 250 miles to Fargo means he could be 50 miles from where I used to live lol.

Fargo is in North Dakota, like 300 miles away from antler, 250 miles to Fargo means he could be 50 miles from where I used to live lol.
Yeah I know where Fargo is. :rolleyes: I wanted to visit at one time.

I love Fargo the movie and TV serieses btw, but they are confusingly set in Minnesota. :)

Last edited:
Yeah I know where Fargo is. :rolleyes: I wanted to visit at one time, had a beautiful internet girlfriend there, until she told me her real age lol! :confused: What is it with American girls? :rolleyes:
I love Fargo the movie and TV serieses btw, but they are confusingly set in Minnesota. :)
Never seen the show but heard of it, there's apparently another in Minnesota so that is why I guess.

What's what about American women? I don't understand what your drift is..

Never seen the show but heard of it, there's apparently another in Minnesota so that is why I guess.

What's what about American women? I don't understand what your drift is..
I think it might have been a reference to a bit in the original movie where they were briefly in Fargo ND even though most if he movie is set in Minnesota, and they just carried on using the name even though they never went back to Fargo ND.

Totally inappropriate over share, off topic anyway and I really ought to edit that out.. We were talking about 1000 miles by bike.
Yes, so.. antibacterial wipes/ cyclist's "fresh balls spray" are very important, as is a saddle that allows you to pedal many miles without chafing. Saddle sores really spoil the fun. So I wouldn't recommend something too large or with a great deal of padding. Perineal relief (a big gap down the middle) is definitely worth having.
Big pedals are nice though. You need to be comfortable.
I think mostly a 1000 mile trip is just like a shorter one. Everything still needs to work right.

Last edited:
Before you plan too much, read about other people's trips. http://motor-assisted-bicycling.106...orge-A-Wyman-1st-Across-America-f5710342.html Read the Part 1, through Part 5 on that link. Also take notes of what went wrong, it will give you some ideas of what emergency stiff you might want to include. Another good source is to research the route for bicycle trails/paths. See if there were any bicycle bloggers that did that particular trip on a bicycle, their blogs will give you an idea of what their problems were.

Have someone at home that can overnight parts, even an engine to you in care of general delivery of the post office nearest you. Study the locations of every bike shop on your chosen route, if something breaks, most likely Walmart won't have it, you will need a real bike shop. Most of these bike shops can be your friend, and will within in reason offer assistance. Not free, but if you need a place to repair something, their back door is better than on the side of the road.

Personally I wouldn't do it without a 4 wheel vehicle support crew tagging along. It is not a case of "if" you will have a breakdown, because the odds are pretty good you will have several breakdowns. Besides, trips like this should be enjoyed with family or friends.

Back