142f valve lash

DieselTech

Local time
5:47 PM
What is best valve setting on 142f? .003"intake & .004"exhaust, I've got almost 200 miles on it & ive lost 2 mph on top speed. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

I will see what happens, if I find my feeler gauges tonight. Lol.

What is best valve setting on 142f? .003"intake & .004"exhaust, I've got almost 200 miles on it & ive lost 2 mph on top speed. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
Your loss of speed may be a bushing issue, the brass bushing over heats and binds.

Check this thread.

Thanks does that conversion work on the 142f taper shaft clutch or is that for straight shaft 142f, my current belt drive is the grubee 4g-1b for tapered shaft 142f.

This is for the Honda GXH50 which the 142f is a clone of. ①. Remove the fuel tank. ②. Remove the four 5 x 22 mm flange bolts, and remove the fuel tank stay. When removing the valve cover, pry off slowly at each corner of the valve cover. ③. Loosen the valve cover by slightly prying up each corner, then remove the valve cover. ・ Catch up the spilled engine oil with a suitable material when removing the valve cover. NOTICE: ・ Do not remove the valve cover with excessive force. It can deform the valve cover. ・ Replace the valve cover if it is deformed. ④. Pull the recoil starter rope and set the piston at top dead center of the compression stroke. (Align the cutout in the flywheel fin or the boss on the flywheel with the alignment mark "△" on the fan cover.) ・ If the exhaust side opens when the cutout in the flywheel fin is in line with the alignment mark, turn the recoil starter pulley one turn and align the marks. ⑤. Insert a feeler gauge between the rocker arm and the valve and measure the valve clearance. VALVE CLEARANCE: 0.06 - 0.10 mm (0.0024 - 0.0039 in) (IN) 0.09 - 0.13 mm (0.0035 - 0.0051 in) (EX) ⑥. If adjustment is necessary, proceed as follows. a. Loosen the adjusting screw lock nut and adjust the valve clearance by turning the adjusting screw in or out. ・To increase the valve clearance, screw out. ・To decrease the valve clearance, screw in. b. Holding the adjusting screw with a socket wrench, tighten the lock nut to the specified torque. TORQUE: 5.5 N·m (0.55 kgf·m, 4.0 lbf·ft) c. After tightening the lock nut, check the valve clearance again. ⑦. Reinstall the valve cover and other removed parts in the reverse order of removal.

I'm just curious if any of you have ever taken a dial micrometer and measured your feeler gauges ? I have 3 sets of feeler gauges and none of them are accurate at the small end around .005". They are all off + or - .001

I'm just curious if any of you have ever taken a dial micrometer and measured you feeler gauges ? I have 3 sets of feeler gauges and none of them are accurate at the small end around .005". They are all off + or - .001
Im not too surprised at that...As the old saying goes, "close enough for government work"...lol...DAMIEN

"The phrase “close enough for government work” is generally believed to have originated during World War II. At that time, the phrase meant that a product met the highest standards of quality because the product would not be accepted by the U.S. military unless it met such exacting standards. Over time, popular culture began using the phrase in an ironic sense. Eventually, that ironic and sometimes disparaging usage of the phrase changed the common meaning from something that meets the highest standards to something that is just good enough to “get the job done."

Back