1914 Excelsior

I don't know when first V twin was produced, but Indian built this one in 1908.

Attachments

• indian twin.jpg
    indian twin.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 391
No,the first V engine was designed by Oscar Hedstrom in 1907 for Indian, a 35 degree twin, 633cc ,but still with atmospheric intake valves.Things moved fast, by 1908 they were doing 70mph
By 1911 Oscar had come up with a 1000cc , 8 valve OHV racer!!

Check out wheelsthroughtime.com lot's of early boardtrack bikes and vidio on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is correct,he built a 50 degree twin,1000 cc. belt drive .
in 1904 and was the first and last? to ever put a 4 liter air cooled
V8 (40hp)on a 7 ' bike and pushed it to 136 mph at Ormond Beach FL in 1907.The engine was originally intended for an aircraft.

Lynchberg?

Sorry I thought you were from Tennessee. Angelos secret is still safe here in my garage.

wow dudes....those a crazy bikes!!!!even for todays standars.....dream bikes indeed!! they look so unique, hand designed parts!

Zomby,Lynchburg VA is not a JD town alas.Crawling with god fearing born-again BBC's.Never seen one on an MB yet.If they figured out that you could get to the Pearly Gates faster by riding one,things might change.
Things moved very fast at that time in the motor cycle arena,before long you had hemi-heads & 4 valve/cyl!.The weak point was the lubrication system I think.Pressure lubrication was in it's infancy,which limited rpm&power.So they went for displacement ,which was easy to do.

Back