2-stroke tach options

I'm a bit lost here - with no shift point to calculate with the tach, and no oil change to schedule with the hour meter, how are these useful on the 2-strokes?

It depends. For me a tach would let me know if I am moving at a faster speed at a slower engine speed meaning I am making more power. It also allows me to know if I am over reving the engine or not. Which I am not even sure anymore if you can even over rev one of these engines.

I never said I /needed/ it, I just /want/ it. :) I'm putting on a temp gauge, and possibly a crankcase pressure/vacuum gauge as well. I just want to know exactly what the engine is doing. I want to know what the engine is turning at speed, so I can play around with gearing, and see what kind of effect gearing, speed, and rpm have on power and fuel economy and engine longevity. And the pressure/vacuum gauge to monitor the effects of porting, along with the temp. ...Just some of the ideas I'm toying with. And why not? I bet the first person who proposed putting a little engine on a bicycle was looked at as nuts when there are perfectly good motorcycles available. This whole hobby can be summarized by the phrase "Why not?"
A tach ok though a speedo tells you the same thing if you know how fast your going you know the rpm as well, temp gauge is handy but then I find the i/r hand held more accurate,A vac/pressure gauge on the case WTF? I dont see how it could tell you anything as the engine cycles between positive and negative pressures and will never be readable not to mention it's inability to show anything other than intake changes of volume or duration.

The tachometer is more important to me at the moment than the speedometer. I don't ride under engine power on the road so there's no speed limit. Really it's only for interest and so I can compare against others' experiences. I already know that I shouldn't be running WOT too long and should keep the maximum RPM fairly low for now.
I have to put a wired speedo on to see the speed when I am running the engine as it turns out that the wireless one doesn't like the engine.
I'm sure it is more accurate to calculate speed from RPM than RPM from speed as the RPM is a much bigger number. Although it is a bit difficult to read the last two digits while riding.

The tachometer is more important to me at the moment than the speedometer. I don't ride under engine power on the road so there's no speed limit. Really it's only for interest and so I can compare against others' experiences. I already know that I shouldn't be running WOT too long and should keep the maximum RPM fairly low for now.
I have to put a wired speedo on to see the speed when I am running the engine as it turns out that the wireless one doesn't like the engine.
I'm sure it is more accurate to calculate speed from RPM than RPM from speed as the RPM is a much bigger number. Although it is a bit difficult to read the last two digits while riding.

Furry:
I used a "Whizzer" tach that I found on-line. I like the looks of it - and think it suits my bike. If you're interested and would like to see it, just do a search on the forum for"tach", or "tach mount". I find, for me at least,with 2-strokes it's hard to tell how fast the thing is revving by ear, so it's nice to have a tach. Plus, that Whizzer tach has a nice little back-light that really looks nice at night. - - - Just ego I guess.

Furry:
I used a "Whizzer" tach that I found on-line. I like the looks of it - and think it suits my bike. If you're interested and would like to see it, just do a search on the forum for"tach", or "tach mount". I find, for me at least,with 2-strokes it's hard to tell how fast the thing is revving by ear, so it's nice to have a tach. Plus, that Whizzer tach has a nice little back-light that really looks nice at night. - - - Just ego I guess.
Thanks for the suggestion, Arty; but I'm going to stick with the cheapo Chinese tach for now. :)
I am going to build a shifter some time so I will consider the options for that, but on my current build its just to see out of interest and for discussion purposes. :)

I thought about them for fun as well, it's usually for looks never found anything useful. I use the feel of the bike to figure out my gearing.

Tachometer at the very least can help keep a beginner from self destructing a motor, they can see that the rev count is oddly high and possibly figure out why, also prevents overspeeding the engine with those wot-down-a-hill moments.

Well I found the following.

https://www.banggood.com/Voltage-Re...-SS-Multistrada-p-1026734.html?rmmds=category

If I got the 12V generator I found on Ebay I can use that voltage regulator/Rectifier to rectify the 12V AC to 12V DC as well as to regulate voltage out put to the electrical system. Only thing ran by this electrical system would be my lights and the tach.

But as far as digital goes, I prefer to keep away from digital as they are harder to read at a glance.

No, it won't work. A couple of reasons - first, the Ducati uses a 3-phase alternator. Actually, most full-sized motorcycle alternators are 3-phase. You want to look for a 4-wire regulator from a moped or ATV.

Second, the coil on the little generators are grounded on one end (one leg of AC hot). If you use the bike frame as DC ground the regulator will blow up. So you need to isolate the coil from chassis, use the correct regulator and you're GTG. Check out my write up in this thread:

https://motoredbikes.com/threads/head-and-running-light-on-a-12-volt-system.31661/#post-448820

I'd do it myself but I just don't happen to have a China Girl bike running right now.

Last edited:
860556EA-1C03-45CA-9DE3-D2821F0C99B3.jpeg
Going to try one of these out

Tach and temp

Back