26" Cruiser from down under

Hey MB'ers!

This is my first build, just thought i'd throw a couple pics up and introduce myself.

I'm from melbourne, australia and decided to build up a motored bike to get around on for a while due to a license suspension... :whistle:

I read everything i could on this forum about the 2 stroke HT's, and so far with a few minor mods its up and running in a 26" cruiser

66cc ebay HT kit, NGK plug and bosch lead and a "speed" carb.
roughened up intake port and tube, deburred anything i could find in the bore/head

had to machine out the center hole in the rear sproket to fit over the hub,
and also fabricate an engine mount for the downtube because it was too fair away,
its handy having a lathe, vice and welder around for these builds!

still on the first tank of gas, mixed it at 16:1 was getting some 4 stroking low-mid range,
just leaned it out at the needle, and see how it goes after the next tank, going to try 32:1. using castrol oil as well.

7181jku.jpg

KG9CdE6.jpg

next I plan on chopping the seat post down and get that seat riding low, install a rear fender and search for some nice old school grips :cool:

chopped the seatpost down and got my buddy at work to fab a laid back seat post,

had some ape hangers from an old 20" lowrider bike i used to ride bout 12+ years ago, bit odd but pretty comfortable to cruise now!

J91MrO8.jpg

yDSFsnN.jpg

had touble with the stator, was on my way to work and the motor died, wouldn't start at all, no spark etc...

ordered a new stator and cdi just incase, replaced the stator fired right up!

test rode around the street for bout 15mins, all good just like before,
then the next day went to leave for work, got about half a mile down the road the thing stopped again!, had to ride back home ... not happy

messed around with it after work, re gapped the magneto, tried different leads/plugs, old cdi new cdi etc, nothing i tried worked at all, pulled the motor off and ordered a 50cc 4 stroke kit.

i just can't justify the time trying to diagnose this little motor..

all up i got about 2 weeks riding time, should have just gone with the 4 stroke in the first place!

ahh well, i've changed the bars, and i'll paint the frame, pics soon once this new motor arrives!

The 4 strokes have a much more dependable ignition system. I've not once had a problem getting my engine to turn over.

I found out the hard way with the 2 stroke china engine you have to carry spare ignition parts. other then that If I had the money I would go for a 4 stroke especially if your depending on it for transportation to your job/school.

yeah i bit the bullet and went with a 4 stroke, just a huasheng.

had to do a few mods to get this thing set up in this frame..

couple progress shots so far

LEOu6c4.jpg

i had to make up an intake manifold, so the carb can sit out on a 45 degree angle out of the way of the top tube etc..

sprayed the engine shroud to look a little less lawnmower and also gave the frame a couple coats of rustoleum 'almond gloss' seeing as it was all stripped down already

tIVaQFc.jpg

tNZZiQo.jpg

had my workmate TIG the manifdold together

yHBdZMS.jpg

sittin sideways now!

QS8iQpD.jpg

Ld8GHUd.jpg

7mnLfTP.jpg

slowly coming together, trued the new rear sprocket and had to take out 1mm from the centre hole on the lathe

wide cranks that came with kit don't clear the motor, didn't come with a long BB shaft either, so i found some short cranks off an old lowrider bike that will have to do for now
also moved the rear wheel across to the right so the chain could clear the frame,

its bout 100 degrees out today, called it quits and went home, i'll have it fired up tomorrow finger crossed!

Z77CJaR.jpg

Back