2nd bad magnedo and cdi in a week

re: choke lever. See my profile pics. I just used a piece of clear vinyl fuel hose for an extension lever. This has stayed on and worked great since November. It doesn't hurt if my leg snags it getting on and off the bike, but I rarely ever hit it or even use it.

I don't know why Flapdoodle's killswitch isn't working, perhaps there is a cut or broken wire, or a bad switch.

Get a 6" to 12" piece of junk wire, to test your frame to engine ground. Perhaps you are using rubber shims to mount your engine.

Strip the ends 1/4" and put one end around the plug knob, under the boot. Isolate or cap the other end temporarily. USING THICK DRY LEATHER OR RUBBER GLOVES, start the motor, and ground the running engine to the frame somewhere, like the crank arm or a bottle cage boss. I grounded all my wires to a bottle cage screw that I can't use, up under the engine. Worked great.

You should easily be able to make or wire a killswitch using the diagram I shared. Good luck. It is important to have, esp in case of a fuel spill or fire, or if your engine or chain line starts to malfunction.

re: Light Kit.
Once the engine is running and the switch is thrown, the engine will miss a couple cycles (fraction of second) as the electricity surges through the wire, then regain normal operation. There will be a slight drag on the engine as it produces current/weans the ignition system of a little current for the lights. If your idle is adjusted high enough, it will stay running, or you can manually keep a little fuel above normal low idle.

If the engine dies, you will have to switch off the lights to restart the engine. You will not be able to start the engine with the lights switched on.

PS Dan, the blue wire in the CDI circuit puts out a current too, or the bikes wouldn't run. And don't be fooled by the size of a wire. I got zapped so hard I got dizzy by a skinny wire while messing with a CB radio.

Last edited:
Hc, There must have been a capacitor in that circuit you got zapped by! ( stores and holds electricity) Flap, The choke kill is O.K. If you can stop the engine at TDC. That way you know all ports are closed to the out side environment. (NO evaporation Through the ports)!

Sorry Flap, I did not really mean TDC! You are correct! the intake is open at TDC. (bottom of piston is above intake port). But with the carb slide at the bottom will minimize evaporation. (can't think clear any more with 4 kids at hand (wife,47, daughter, 4.5, son,.08 and bike, .03). That's in numerical order. The exchange ports need to be closed. intake and exhaust will also be minimized. I have not made a degree wheel yet to see where things happen on these HTs!

Last edited:
Maybe its off topic a little, but if you turn off the fuel valve while on the last bit home, and then kill the engine when you can tell it made a vaccum, it will evaporate less fumes to smell in the house. Also, Sick Bike Parts has fuel cap gaskets for HT kits.

only problem with the blue/black wire kill swtch method

There is a lot less voltage for jump accross a small gap kill switch so you got to figure there is a lot more voltage,voltage is what jumps distance, in the blue to the black wire so you get jumping going across the kill switch from moisture then you have dwell the dwell is a reprocusion of having resistance in the cdi supply loop could be shorting the mag out brittling the wire til it breaks. Use the White and ground.

Also if it is a grubee the 3 prong spark plug..half of the ones I've seen with problems in electrical is one of the 3 tines are touching the ignitor tip with mo or nil gap! Real talk!

Back