415 Chain: Master Links - Any tips, suggestions, cautionary advice?

yuckfoo

Local time
3:33 AM
Is there anything I need to know about buying master links for 415 chain? Probably not, but just in case. Thanks.

When ya put the Master Link together make sure the rounded part of the clip goes in the direction of travel.
If ya put the open end of the clip on in the direction of travel it will pop off.

If ya take the Master link apart too many times the clip can become weak and pop off.
Ya might want to buy 2 master links and have one for a spare.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
These are the ones i bought for my 415 chain when i chopped my chain down to size to eliminate the tensioner...i dislike reusing used master links...lol...a "six pack" for 7.99 USD at Amazon...They work fine...DAMIEN

I don't recommend removing a master link frequently but a single ratio drive system puts a lot less lateral stress on the chain than a multi ratio system would. Therefore a master link on a single ratio drive system is going to last much longer than a 1×8...etc drive system will. So on the single ratio drive system you should be able to remove the master several times before it becomes unusable.

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I don't recommend removing a master link frequently but a single ratio drive system puts a lot less lateral stress on the chain than a multi ratio system would. Therefore a master link on a single ratio drive system is going to last much longer than a 1×8...etc drive system will.
Yeah...I know it can be used multiple times...This is just me liking to replace something that is cheap and easy, in this case, the master links, whenever i have to take it off for whatever reason...costs next to nothing and lets face it..."A chain is only as strong as its weakest link"...lol...DAMIEN

Yeah...I know it can be used multiple times...This is just me liking to replace something that is cheap and easy, in this case, the master links, whenever i have to take it off for whatever reason...costs next to nothing and lets face it..."A chain is only as strong as its weakest link"...lol...DAMIEN
What happens to a chain when it's stretched is the holes where the pins go through get oblong shaped. This is predominantly caused by cross chaining. Being in a gear to high going up steep hills or being in a gear too high for pulling a heavy load are other factors that can cause chain stretching.

Therefore if you don't pull heavy loads or have steep hills to contend with, a quailty master link should last you many years on a single ratio drive system. Even if you remove the chain once a month for cleaning purposes. You should still do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Here's a prime example of what I'm talking about. On the single ratio drive system gear box to shift kit I've never had the clip style master link on the 410 chain fail even though I removed the chain 4 times a year for cleaning over 11 years. Still have it today. Now the story is totally different with the bicycle chain that used Kiwk links on the 1x7 auto shift. I did have failures with used master links there.

These are the ones i bought for my 415 chain when i chopped my chain down to size to eliminate the tensioner...i dislike reusing used master links...lol...a "six pack" for 7.99 USD at Amazon...They work fine...DAMIEN

Thanks. By the way, these are way cheaper on ebay. On amazon it's over $15.00 with shipping. $4.99 on ebay with free shipping.
6PCS 415 Chain Master Link Kit For 2 Cycle 80cc Motorized Bicycle Bike Parts | eBay

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
By the way, these are way cheaper on ebay. On amazon it's over $15.00 with shipping.
Ive got Amazon Prime, mostly because i use their Prime Video for movies, TV, etc. on my Roku boxes...lol...But it gives me free shipping as well.

Ive known too many people burnt on E-Bay so have never and will never use E-Bay, same goes for Craigs list as well...But to each his own on that one...DAMIEN

Ive got Amazon Prime, mostly because i use their Prime Video for movies, TV, etc. on my Roku boxes...lol...But it gives me free shipping as well.

Ive known too many people burnt on E-Bay so have never and will never use E-Bay, same goes for Craigs list as well...But to each his own on that one...DAMIEN
Ebay has never burned me, neither has craigs list.

Back