48cc Grubee GT-2B 1500 mile TEARDOWN

What is a boost bottle?

What is a boost bottle?

As I found out the stock carbs are not as much a limitation as I thought they were - I got amazing revs and power with my stockie and the only thing I did was drill jet and adjust fuel air correctly.

...and the boost bottle is a nice addition - everyone says they are rubbish but If you make them correctly I experienced a 7.5Km/h increase in top speed! Not bad for welding up some scrap steel I had at home. Speaking of which, ill try and make one up for my current bike (I had one on my first HT and my second is the 70km/h one) now I can go 77.5km/h haha

During typing this I had an idea - Ill machine up to halves of pipe (one capped off, one with a fitting for the transfer pipe to manifold) and each halve will be threaded (using a pitch that knowing the diameters of the pipes, one turn will equal 0.5cc) and then I can screw/unscrew the 2 halves to exactly tune the volume. In addition there will be a backing nut to lock it down once tuned! Might seem excessive but hey, if I got the time, skills and materials why not.

What is a "transfer"?

I understand what a cylinder is, and some about 2st. engines. What is a cylinder transfer?

Yes you are correct about the stock carb.
You will see my fuel air mix was way rich.
And i still had alot of power.

The problem which i'm sure existed when i got the motor is the bearind seal at the magneto side was stuck to the magnet and not sealing my engine.
So i was allways sucking in air at the crank.
Thats why i had to run so rich.

Now i'm fixing that and doing some porting.
Actually just takin a break.

Right now i'm grinding out the transfers in the crankcase and matching the cylinder transfers.
Should produce better flow and i should be safe there.
The size of the transfer in the cylinder will actually be the limiting factor in the porting.

Well back to work.
And i will post pics later.

From what I've seen of bicycle motors, they are all junk save for a few one-offs or actual moped and track bike engines people have carved out their pedal bikes to install.

Maybe it will be like cell phones: 20 years ago, they weighed a ton, were thousand dollars, considered silly or pretentious, and irritating to use. But USEFUL! So eventually now they are cheaper and majorly mass produced, with lots of design competition and fan/brand marketing, trickle down technology, and better reliability (for the most part).
maybe in 20 years , motor bicycles will be awesome. For now they are pretty much either just useful, or pretty but painstaking.

good luck!

Interesting read 2100..., have you considered a tuned pipe exhaust set up to increase top end performance? In modeling, amazing power increases are achieved. Gas or methanol, doesn't matter. Flexible coupler between pipe & expansion chamber allow one to fine tune the system. Also, would you tell what oil your using and mix ratio? So many people here say the HT's are junk. I'm satisfied with mine so far but still breaking in both. Thanks!

I have a Grubee Skyhawk 48cc I am still putting together (muffler doesn't fit. Have to bend it or something, not while attached to motor! I know)

The instructions, kind of lame as they are, say to use the clutch lever lockout when adjusting the clutch. I think that star nut is for fingers. It came with some kind of puller tool, probably for the 10 or 11 tooth cog. It didnt' come with any star nut tool.

I pull in the clutch and use my fingers to tighten it (once retainer screw is removed)

*Yes I am Rambo*

HappyCheapskate

I use aluminum gaskets cut from very thin disposable cookie sheets.
And yes i mill all the gasket surfaces on the engine with the sandpaper and glass.

If the muffeler dosen't fit check how much the motor is tipped to the right.
Is it getting blocked by the bicycle downtube?.

The cylinder is the part with all the fins.
The piston is inside the middle of it. "cylinder bore"

The Transfers " Transfer Ports " is the passage where the fuel air gets sucked into the crankcase.
We want good flow through there.
The transfers are located on each side of the cylinder.
The front of the cylinder has the exhaust port.
Where you connect the exhaust.
The rear of the cylinder has the intake port.
Where you connect the carb.

The HT is piston timed which means there are no valves.
Only 2 Transfer Ports the Intake Port and the Exhaust Port.

I know i have pictures of this stuff around here.

Thanks for the info

Ok. I understand. So it doesn't have a reed valve? Very interesting. I understand the transfer port then, I just didn't have a word for it.

I like 2 stroke motorcycles for some reason. Maybe because I like the sound and because they are always changing their own oil if you do the mixing right. :)

Can anybody link me to a thread on various oil for 2cy bike engines?

I want to read reviews of the different oils, like Echo 50:1 premo oil (can use more if you want), Walmart Ashless 2cyc ski-doo/atv oil, Power Blend Home Depot, etc.

I have used MC-1 Synthetic Racing oil and Lucas Synthetic.
I like the Lucas.
I think any synthetic oil is good.
You use less and it leaves less garbage in your cylinder.
If i use normal oil i have to run the carb richer.
With the synthetic i can lean it out a bit.