$50 eBay Engine Kits

Moon_Dog

Local time
1:18 PM
I saw $50 engine kits from Hong Kong on eBay yesterday with free shipping. I ordered one kit and just received notice it has shipped. The advertised bore and stroke is 47mm x 40mm so it's a 69cc engine. I've ordered more expensive engine kits from China and they have always been delivered to my door. Does anyone have experience with such low priced kits? If it's not a scam would I have to pay anything to get it through customs?

I bought three so far this year on eBay, I knew from the start they were scams. My way of thinking is if eBay has to refund enough people they will start watching more closely what is sold there.

Could someone in China sell enough kits to become legit then drop the price, collect a bunch of sale money and bail out on eBay? Would PayPal be involved? While I was watching it would say only 2 left then suddenly it would change to 5 left then the remaining quantity indication disappeared all together. According to China Post something has shipped.

Just checked my order. The guy has been kicked off eBay. He had 177 positive reviews in 12 months but none of them are for engine kits. He had sold 28 kits while I was watching so if he sold 50 kits that would be $2,500 which is a good day's pay in Hong Kong.

If they have kicked the vendor off you can ask them to supply a tracking number, eBay will refund you that day, that’s what they did for me.

I already have a tracking number. The guy must have shipped something, or knows how to make it appear so. The shipping on a single engine kit for China is more than $50 in my experience. I just called eBay and they refunded the $50 without me even asking.

Back