$500 labor charge for building an MB???

I was offered 600 for my bike not once but twice. I only have 300 into it with hardware, shipping, brakes, speedo lights etc . I am thinking of building another just to sell . between the build then the bullet proofing to get some reliability it took at least 15 hours probably more. $20 an hour for my labor is what my time is worth. I think 600 is a fair price . So far on my bike it has been 500 trouble free miles and I commuted on it all year back and forth to work.

Pretty build, I like the diamond plate accents, is that a tool bag on the rack?
BBB

Wow Buz....$36/hr for labor....pretty reasonable. Cost of doing business must be lower than I anticipated in NY. How would you compare shop rent, insurance, utilities etc. to other areas?

In Ak plumbers are 85+ , electricians are 75+, Garages are 95+.

Guess it ain't easy living in an igloo. Just the other day the wind blew my satellite dish into the next Burrough. (We don't have counties here.) :unsure:

Well ibdennyak, your right out labor rate is low, but were new so were trying to compete with the mega shops.
Here in NYC the mom and pop bicycle shops are having trouble due to the harsh winters and the high rents.
Mega shops(i wont mention and names here >metro cycles<)
have the deep pockets it takes to last out the winters and they have been pushing the mom n pops out of the business.
We are trying to fight that, since the mega shops wont touch moto bikes I think we have found our niche.
BBB

i agree with blue if a person takes his time and does it rite like you did yours and checking it out correctly and adding here and there and adding lites and stuff and giving him a free clutch handle was a awesome gesture was his wheels suficcent enough to handle the torque of the motor i gotta change out a rear rim soon on my new build i used stock rim and it is already popping i hear it on occation while riding it it would be worth 500 dollars other than that no

I agree wbuttry the stock single walled rims aren't up to the task of moto bike use, and the customer was warned not to hit any curbs or big potholes at speed and even with the tightening up and re truing it was only a matter of time until that rear rim tacos.
I wouldn't use those wheels on a shoping cart let alone a moto bike, but he was on a tight budget.
I have new dual wall rims on good Shimano hubs with 12 gauge spokes, and i like to use Manic rear sprocket adapters to move the drive load from the spokes to the hub were they belong.
(i'm keeping a set ready for him)
BBB

Pretty build, I like the diamond plate accents, is that a tool bag on the rack?
BBB
thanks , it is a tool bag on the seat,and a cup holder on the handlebars. It also has a bottle opener on the fork. Bike has been awesome so far

thanks , it is a tool bag on the seat,and a cup holder on the handlebars. It also has a bottle opener on the fork. Bike has been awesome so far

Have to agree with BBB. I have a piece of aluminum diamond plate I've been saving for a similar idea. Now the cup holder...where did you get that. I usually get a cup of coffee on the way to work, and end up wearing it till it dries. :cry: Can't find one around here.

Well ibdennyak, your right out labor rate is low, but were new so were trying to compete with the mega shops.
Here in NYC the mom and pop bicycle shops are having trouble due to the harsh winters and the high rents.
Mega shops(i wont mention and names here >metro cycles<)
have the deep pockets it takes to last out the winters and they have been pushing the mom n pops out of the business.
We are trying to fight that, since the mega shops wont touch moto bikes I think we have found our niche.
BBB

Sounds like you have it figured out. Actually it sounds very similar to many seasonal businesses. Anyway, good luck with your enterprise. I've always felt it is better to have smaller stores with a more personal customer service attitude rather than the huge superstores with a bunch of clock watching employees who don;t really care. (That would include me at the moment, so don;t take offense any one.) I've always taken more care when my name goes on the product. Unfortunately economics enters into the picture. Again, best of luck.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
holy carp...20 bucks for the Valco Baby Bevi Buddy Self Leveling Universal Cup Holder, Black. Well, I guess it is self leveling. :giggle:

Sounds like you have it figured out. Actually it sounds very similar to many seasonal businesses. Anyway, good luck with your enterprise. I've always felt it is better to have smaller stores with a more personal customer service attitude rather than the huge superstores with a bunch of clock watching employees who don;t really care. (That would include me at the moment, so don;t take offense any one.) I've always taken more care when my name goes on the product. Unfortunately economics enters into the picture. Again, best of luck.

Sad but very true ibdennyak,
In this "disposable" world, few take any pride in workmanship, quality of service or just doing a good job for ones own satisfaction anymore.
My great grand father was a metal worker,(and a biker) he taught his sons the trade (and the sport)and so on, that's how it was done.
Unless you were going to be a professional, -ie- Doctor, lawyer or business man, and were going to collage, boys were taught the trades.
"A man needs a trade" my dad always said, if you have a good trade that your good at, you'll never be out of work son.
As a member of the "greatest generation"
(those who fought in the services and worked in the factory's and built the arsenal that defeated the Axis powers in WWII)
I'm just glad he didn't live long enough to see what had become of the beloved country and people they fought so hard for.
Clock watching? man, you said a mouthful-
If you dont want to work why are you here?
BECAUSE they have no choice...
BECAUSE they have no trade...
BECAUSE they are considered by the powers that be that they ARE disposable.
So the next time some wadge zombie clicks there tounge at you and rolls there eyes when you ask them to do there jobs... remember this... it wasnt always thus...
We allow it.
Just my opinion.
BBB

Ebay Bike

the idea of getting THAT kinda $$$ for such a build... mind you, I have the same bike (WM Huffy Cranbrick), the same motor(Chinese Happy Times)- only I did a better assembly, did a paint job on the tank and chain guard (I notice the chain guard is absent on this one) and added some nice touches... wow! My bike is valuable! And I DID do the re-packing with marine grade grease as well as true the wheels, adjust everything... and I still had issues that had to be dealt with after several shake-downs. My first bike, OK? Still figuring out some issues- just added a front brake (HD Caliper operation), going batery/LED on my headlight/taillight and probably going to use the manic mechanic sprocket mount instead of the rag mount. I might be a few years getting everything right- and THERE's the value of this toy! Keeps me outta trouble, loads of fun, cheaper than a mistress and far more faithfull!
the Old Sgt.

Back