5kW hub drive motor! (Washing machine DIY E-bike)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. So the dropouts will be a tiny bit bigger (wider) than the wheel, like 1cm at most. Do I need to tighten the frame, or, could I put in nuts, and secure them very tightly, or washers? Would that work? To center the wheel.

I would get a spacer in there to fit the motor tightly. I mean you gotta spend sometime to get this right. Find some steel spacers to fill up that 1cm space. You probably have some time before the battery arrives to get this done. I mean you can get this kit running in like 30 minutes, but you should not rush to get it done but be very precise with mounting the wheel. Also, the hose clamp torque arms might be too flimsy see if you can find something bigger and more beefy.

Update:

Bike is comming next week monday, or tuesday (8-9th)
Hub motor kit is comming next week tuesday to the week after on friday (9-19th)
Batteries are comming sometime at the end of the month to the end of the next month.

Other info: I asked for the 26x4.0 wheel, instead of the 26x3.0, so it matches my front wheel size.

The controller handles somewhere from 100 max continous to 200 max ampers. Using it at full battery charge (84 volts) that puts it at somewhere at around 22 horsepower at full charge, 19 horsepowers at nominal voltage. Pretty damn impressive.

Updates comming next week!

Update:

Bike is comming next week monday, or tuesday (8-9th)
Hub motor kit is comming next week tuesday to the week after on friday (9-19th)
Batteries are comming sometime at the end of the month to the end of the next month.

Other info: I asked for the 26x4.0 wheel, instead of the 26x3.0, so it matches my front wheel size.

The controller handles somewhere from 100 max continous to 200 max ampers. Using it at full battery charge (84 volts) that puts it at somewhere at around 22 horsepower at full charge, 19 horsepowers at nominal voltage. Pretty damn impressive.

Updates comming next week!

sounds like its going to be fun!
good luck man, and keep up posted!

Hello!

The bike just arrived. Looks amazing. I pumped the tires ti 15 PSI, though it says 20 max. The tires have a LOT of noise. And I had to adjust the seat too. I had to raise it a lot. Only my toes reach the ground now, but still when I pedal, it feels like I need to raise the seat even more.

Anyways. I've instantly had 2 problems: both with the disc brakes. Both of them are sqeeking. The back wheel one is most likely because the wheel is just about slightly untrue. The front one looks true, but that sqeeaks a bit too. I don't have the tools to adjust them, so I'll probably take it to my bike shop (those bastards, still angry at them, lol)

The kit and battery are not even shipped yet! It's been almost a week!

Hello!

The bike just arrived. Looks amazing. I pumped the tires ti 15 PSI, though it says 20 max. The tires have a LOT of noise. And I had to adjust the seat too. I had to raise it a lot. Only my toes reach the ground now, but still when I pedal, it feels like I need to raise the seat even more.

Anyways. I've instantly had 2 problems: both with the disc brakes. Both of them are sqeeking. The back wheel one is most likely because the wheel is just about slightly untrue. The front one looks true, but that sqeeaks a bit too. I don't have the tools to adjust them, so I'll probably take it to my bike shop (those bastards, still angry at them, lol)

The kit and battery are not even shipped yet! It's been almost a week!
if it sqeeks its becuase there comtaminated (pads might have a bit of oil on them, making the sqeek)
try rubbing alcohol, (those ones that come in pads work the best for me)

also, get your self a set of metric allen keys, cant tell you how much they saved me!

I have multiple sets of those allen keys, I live in Europe :)

I'll check tomorrow, but it squeals when I pedal, and it's defenetly not straight, because it sqeals as fast as I'm going. Also when pulling the brakes it squeals very hard and the braking power is very choppy! Arrgh.

It's like 10pm here now, so I can't really go outside to work on it, much dark.

You might as well learn to adjust your own brakes rather then take them to a shop who weren't able or couldn't be bothered to adjust them correctly in the first place. Mechanical disc brakes will need frequent adjustment anyway once you're using them.
The brakes might be inadequate anyway, probably are on a low end bike. (Well equipped fatbikes cost thousands €€€€!)
A set of entry level hydraulic Magura brakes would be a good choice IMHO. Try rosebikes.de ?

Hello, the bike was ordered, not bought from the shop. I'm angry at them for selling me a set of pedals and then telling me they won't install it... And I don't have the tools, and they are not selling tools like that...

The bike was about 500 USD. I am however planning on replacing them to hydraulic disc brakes, but the back wheel will be that by default, with the kit.

I'll look for a pair of those.

EDIT: The back wheel has a wobble in it! That's why it's so horrible! So does the front wheel! But that one is almost not noticable. But the back wheel, you can notice it at the axle. It will be swapped out anyways but- I'm very mad. And this bike is new!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back