6.5HP Bicycle Pusher Trailer

You are dead wrong,but I try to take risks intelligently,and I certainly haven't been sitting by the sidelines.I have over 50k miles on motorcycles including a memorable trip from the Persian Gulf to the Hague and raced 2 strokes in my younger days,which wasn't all that risky because you were dealing with smart riders,not reckless fools.Those were weeded out quickly.But we had riding experience,used good equipment and excercised judgment.Here we have Mr M for instance, who had been told by a number of members of this Forum (myself included) that his 6.5 HP trailer looks like an accident about to happen on wheels.Then he proceeds to out for kicks, on a speed run,He was lucky that the thing did not come apart then and there,but obliges him by failing catastrophically at low speed,failure mode, as predicted,metal fatigue induced cracks weakened the attachment structure, followed by later catastrophic failure.I have no particular sympathy for someone who chooses to endanger himself after being forewarned,one dummy less on this planet, but he also exposes other road users to unwarranted danger.
As far as the sidelines are concerned,I regularly ride my trusty Yamaha on camping trips,then my road bike and my MB Mitsu. TLE 43 NuVinci,but those mainly on back roads,riding in the city in the US is dangerous for cyclists. American drivers often don't "register" two wheelers,in Europe people are used to all sorts of vehicles on the road and are more observant,in my experience.

You just don’t get it do you. Nothing you say is going to change any thing. You are wasting your breath. We have been warned. Let it go.

So you’re not a bench warmer. Sorry, about that I was out of line earlier. What is it then? Someone having fun with out tons of money invested? MB Mitsu. TLE 43 NuVinci ? Pricey stuff. I built mine with a brand new engine for less than $200.Total. People are gonna do what people are gonna do. Your posts about Idiots and catastrophe are not going to save someone from themselves. Besides we are all states away from you. I think you are safe.

I have nothing against people having inexpensive fun,The first MB I built when I was 18 came from parts scrounged up in junkyards,but I'm against dangerous stupid fun,like Mr M's exploits.It gives us a bad reputation and the cops an excuse to start clamping down.Riding a motored bike (often with marginal brakes) in suburban traffic at speeds above 35 mph is foolhardy.Get enough life insurance and disability insurance.My posts might keep some from killing themselves,but hardcore morons are of course beyond help.We ought not to be wasting taxpayers money providing any medical care and SS disability support for reckless nitwits who break the law and are a menace to others.

This thread is about a 6.5HP bicycle trailer that has been upgraded over time to become a really nice driving and hauling machine for my bicycle. Life is about learning, and as things break or wear, I upgrade and change as needed, and now it works great.

This thread is not about bungee jumping, or skydiving, or morons, or the guy that got hurt on his bike. Bringing all this useless nonsense in an attempt to project fear and keep me and other creative people from riding our machines will not get you far here.

Just look at my engine. It's says NO FEAR.

It's best to enjoy the thread, and enjoy reading stuff here at MBC. It's always just one or few out of the majority that cause a problem and try to control things. Lets keep it fun and keep it positive. I'm not going into your threads because I don't like something about your bike, so either post something worthwhile or stay out of this thread.

And I'm building a new bike trailer BTW, so I LOL about anyone that wants to keep me from riding. This is America, and supposedly home of the free, and I will enjoy what freedoms I still have that I can ride my motorized bicycle.

Last edited:
I bet I can make a 3.5 hp push trailer from cardboard. Or maybe paper-mâché
. Conduit has worked. Perhaps something lighter like plastic pipe. Lighter weight = higher MPG. Oh and don't worry I have life, health and disability Insurance. All my premiums are paid up. 3.5 hp might not be enough. I do have an 18 hp Briggs twin in the shed...

Hey Znsane, Do you have any more pics of the guy with the side pusher? Now that I take a closer look it is astonishing how much it looks like my design. Who ever made that one made it longer and wider but it is amazing how similar they are. Just curious. I wonder if he saw mine and made his or if great minds think alike.

I think I will change my name to Casper Milktoast or maybe HennyPenny....yeah, thats it...."The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling"....LOL.

Nor do I bear anyone any malice:devilish:

The cautionary tale about my acquaintance is NOT nonsense ,it's REALITY,this guy may never properly walk again,because of his recklessnes.Of course nothing is ever going to happen to you,you are invulnerable.Any bicycle, esp.one with a trailer-pusher,and 6.5 HP is an invitation to push the envelope too far.A pusher trailer might appear reasonably stable under normal conditions,but in an emergency it can behave very differently.Fear breeds caution and caution has it's uses,it can keep you from getting hurt or killed.
I once lost my front brake on a bicycle trip in England when coming down a long incline in North Devon,at the end there were some nasty steep hidden switchbacks and a red double decker bus came lumbering up them.I had to get off the road presto, and plunged into a large hawthorn thicket.It slowed me down and I ended up in the middle of it sitting upright on my bicycle.After I extricated myself with some difficulty and took a look around, it turned out that a sheer cliff was just 30 ft or so away,if I'd missed those bushes,I would have been a goner for sure.It turned out there was nothing really wrong with the brake,the cable had slipped the nut in my panic braking.Moral:thoroughly check out your gear and read maps.Amazingly,although I was all scratched up from head to toe,no thorns had punctured a tire.All I had to do was tightnen up the cable nut and screw up enough courage to ride down the hairpins.It helps to be lucky !,I hope you are too,you'll need it.Using unsuitable materials to construct some marginal contraption,just for the **** of it,is a waste of time,IMO,but at least it would keep you off the street.

Hey Znsane, Do you have any more pics of the guy with the side pusher? Now that I take a closer look it is astonishing how much it looks like my design. Who ever made that one made it longer and wider but it is amazing how similar they are. Just curious. I wonder if he saw mine and made his or if great minds think alike.

I saw your side pusher on this site and thought it was neat and different so I reproduced it on a $50.00 Walmart mountain bike. I rode it in the ST.Pete rally and it rode great untill I sucked something into the carburetor. Znsane Rider drained the bowl and it ran great after that. I added a piece of angle iron to the frame mount and a spring to hold pressure on the wheel now I have very little bounce when I take off. Two of my grandsons and I rode our bikes thirty five miles last sunday without any breakdowns. Thanks for the design Motormaker hope you dont mind.

Back