A couple of dumpster finds

A 50/50 mixture of vinegar and lemon juice eats rust very well, and quickly too. It also degreases the part for painting.
I use it all the time to clean old specialty hardware, inside rusty fuel tanks, break loose rust seized pistons, hinges, bearings, ect. You do not really need to worry much about it eating away at the origional base metal. It will do so, but you would have to leave the part in the solution for weeks on end for it to do any appreciable damage.
The best part is it is biodegradable. You can flush it down the toilet when you are done. It is waaaaay less harsh than any drain cleaner or toilet bowl cleaner.
For treating rust inside a frame tube, why not use Jasco metal prep?
Is is used in the marine industry for treating ship's hulls, ect before painting.
It converts rust into iron phosphate, a good rust proof coating. Any exposed clean metal gets converted as well, just not as thick of a coating as there is no rust previously there to convert.

Where are you getting the Jasco products from?

They used to anodize and case harden the tie rods for GM trucks, where I used to work.. They did a pretty good job compared to others we dealt with. I know if you use vinegar, use white!!! Never breath the fumes off of that stuff no-matter what you use!

Last edited:
Where are you getting the Jasco products from?

They used to anodize and case harden the tie rods for GM trucks, where I used to work.. They did a pretty good job compared to others we dealt with. I know if you use vinegar, use white!!! Never breath the fumes off of that stuff no-matter what you use!

Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, True Value Hardware.
Although there are not any of them around here, I bet one could find it at Tractor Supply too.

Well the kit is installed on my mtn. bike it wouldn't work on the Raleigh unless I wanted to order new pedals (they both hit the engine) I like it so far only rode it for 10 mins.
There are some things I want to improve on but I think I'll wait until after break in to do that. It did reach 31 mph at just a little over half throttle can't wait to see what it'll do when it's broken in and I can open it all the way up. :cool: :whistle: :D

Well this is how it ended up so far. I will be putting a motor on the Raleigh at a later date. The bike build has stalled because I'm having to rebuild the transmission in my work van. I do have more plans and mods for the bike once I finish the trans. :cool:

Attachments

• 100_1828.jpg
    100_1828.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 100_1829.jpg
    100_1829.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 224
Back