Adaptors and manifolds for larger carburetors

• Thread starter Deleted member 12676
  • Start date
stomp stomp stomp, kicking up dust...

i found out theres a mikuni vm17!

nice price ;)

http://www.motorcyclepowerstore.com...i-vm17-carburetor-sj110-carburetor-p-716.html

all my maths says that the port is 20x15.5. and its actual cross section is 20x12.5.

compensate a little for the radius corners and it compares favourably with 17mmID tubing.

i managed to squeeze the stock carb on to the handy bit of tube i found, i almost had to redo it when i forgot about the silly studs being so close together!, and then i cleaned up my mikuni 18 and remade a nice manifold clamping ring thing. which works this time. yet to see if it holds on.

i need an air filter. im thinking i might just get fancy with some alloy plate and make one. clamping that on WELL is the issue.

now i recall why i gave up on intakes a few years ago :rolleyes:

Touche'.

I share your opinion. My shift kit conquers the hills that bested my friction-driven 5hp 460 engine.

Every time.

Since I installed my shift kit, my engine has NEVER lugged down below its optimum operating range.

A simple way to adapt manifolds at home is to glue small sections of tubing over the oem manifold or even a machined manifold. To use my 21mm phbg I simply jbwelded a short piece of handlebar over my maniac intake and it works perfect!

When it comes to climeing I have to say both jag and Fabian are right but better then either of them is to mix the 2 ideas do all you can to make your engine run through a broad rpm range and have a shift kit also. Ive never ran a shift kit and for city driveing in Chicago that is fine but I have done many things and have many things planed for the schwinn build Im working on now for my engine. that said if I still lived in Tennessee I would do all the porting and everything else then Id add a shift kit so my motor did not have to work hard on all the hills.

I lived where there were fairly steep hills and my bike, if it could, would of laughed at the idea of a shift kit. Falling on its side laughing it would of mumbled something about "legs on a snake" (an old Zen way of saying something is not necessary).
But if the hills were extremely steep or the bike had a trailer to haul heavy things then a shift kit would be OK.

lol, here in australia, some of our snakes do have legs :)

and some of our lizards dont... :giggle:

i wouldnt mind a three speed at the maximum, then i could cruise at 70 and still climb my mates 45 degree driveway.

i cant see a reason to have any more than that. especially when its still just a rudimentary derailleur type transmission.

gimme a centrifugal auto any day :)

Back