almost got it put together, many (safety related) questions

ok the bike chain is too large for a conventional chain tool...

how'd you get the master link off?

ok got the master link off finally...

so where is this mysterious "box spanner" that my kit doesnt appear to have (or if it has it how do I assemble it)? I got a bunch of unused parts but the heck if I know how to put them together.

yes, the chain is too large for the tool. i drilled a hole in my railing and punched the pin out- worked great. look at the pics for my project and you can see how it was accomplished.

i actually ditched the 'big' chain and used bicycle chain instead- much lighter and easier to work with.

Jimbo said:
ok I bought a new gas container since I cant find any place to get rid of the gas on short term.

So when I checked out two stroke oils there was two stroke for outdoor motors and two stroke synthetic for motor boats.

Does it matter which one I get?

Any 2-stroke oil will suffice but use the synthetic.

alright, thats what I figured.

So I see that I have a box spanner but I dont have a tommy bar for leverage. grumble...

If I buy a normal bike chain do you still need to use the box spanner to get it around the drive sprocket on the engine? Does it still work with the tire sprocket?

edit: used screwdriver as replacement for tommy bar :)

bike chain works just fine. i used chain made for single speed bikes. it required two packages. also, pick up another master link as you'll need it to put the two chains together. all of this is available at walmart :D

ok I got the chain on - it only required one single speed chain. And man was it sooo much easier to work with.

But I dont notice a difference between the clutch being disengaged and engaged. It seems to put up a sizable resistance regardless. Even when I manually push against the clutch lever on the motor (just in case my clutch lever isn't pulling hard enough) I still get this. Is it supposed to be like this? Did I miss something?

??? I'm like 98% done here, but again, not understanding the clutch. Did anyone else have what I'm talking about?

im not the clutch expert, but maybe you need to adjust the clutch. you can do that somehow, but I have no idea how. My clutch sometimes sticks a little when you push it in and try to coast. It still has some resistance. Push it in as far as you can and try to spin the wheel. Mess around with it until it works.

thanks for the response tom. After email thatsdax about it, I was able to figure it out.

Basically, for some reason on mine, I had to push VERY VERY hard to get it to go. Anyways, after lots and lots of pushing, I was able to make more and more progress with it until now it goes in about an inch farther than before and its easier now. So after unjamming my chain (it got jammed from earlier attempts), walla, it worked!

99% there...

I have a question ... Is there any chance that my engine might catch my feul line on fire. and blow up my gas tank along with my balls???

Back