am i crazy or is this the best idea or the worst idea to put a husky top end on one of these bikes

The stock engine has chrome plating which is the industrial norm for most modern small 2 cycle engines, it's the quality control issues on the Happy Time bike engines that makes the difference. Plating with nikasil isn't going to improve this if the other quality control problems aren't fixed first. I have a 40 year old weedeater engine with thousands of hours use that still has good compression. It's a chrome plated cylinder.
So i ended up getting a motor from smolik preformance kids a wis kid and he made a kickass motor for me check them out smolikperformance.shop i think its .shop anyways

Good call, both can be fast but a moped jug is much better suited for commuting on a bicycle than a high strung saw jug.

In either case; these engine cylinders are from forced air cooled engines, and will be subject to a overheating disadvantage if the bike isn't kept moving. Best case scenario? 48 cc stock HT engine and go with a 48T rear sprocket to keep the loading on the engine light. Don't spend a lot of time idling at stoplights. Don't make a habit of jack-rabbiting between traffic lights, you'll overtake the meager cooling fin's ability to shed the extra heat you're making, especially in summer.

In either case; these engine cylinders are from forced air cooled engines, and will be subject to a overheating disadvantage if the bike isn't kept moving. Best case scenario? 48 cc stock HT engine and go with a 48T rear sprocket to keep the loading on the engine light. Don't spend a lot of time idling at stoplights. Don't make a habit of jack-rabbiting between traffic lights, you'll overtake the meager cooling fin's ability to shed the extra heat you're making, especially in summer.
Moped jugs like the Hybid setups are not forced air cooled, just the saw jugs are. They do fine in stop and go, even in the summer.

The saw jugs are great for race bikes and can be crazy fast, but I am not a big fan for them on commuters - they sacrifice TQ for top end speed, and are harder to keep cool on pump gas. I'd rather a 60mph bike with great acceleration that runs cool vs a 70mph bike that runs hot and has to rev its brains out to get moving.

Back