Am I in the wrong hobby?

cloakedvillain

Local time
12:56 AM
I am constantly daydreaming and researching novel drive trains and non conventional builds. Its not a problem with his forum, but the hobby as a whole: I love the engineering aspect of this hobby but it seems I am outnumbered by guys who want to do everything as cheaply and as easy as is possible, regardless of practicality or safety.

My latest, and stupidest idea is to use a Honda gx35, a torque sensing bottom bracket and some hobby robotics parts to build a purely assistive motorized bike.

Why worry about others? Some folks barely scrape by so cheap is a relative term. Do what you want, you seem talented. Honda gx35 is a great reliable motor. Realize it's only like 1.3hp. Same package you can use the gx50 and get 2hp. Huge diff for the small motors we use.

When I first came onto the forums I was telling people about my LandRider bicycle build which shifted engine/human driven gears automatically. I also told them I had been riding the bike for over a year.

I then had members tell me it was never going to work. You can't just jam it into gear without components being damaged. They didn't understand the LR auto shifting system worked more like a CVT rather than the standard derailleur that has fixed positions controlled by a shifter. I then asked if it isn't going to work, how is it that I've been riding the bike for over a year or did you miss reading that part????

I am constantly daydreaming and researching novel drive trains and non conventional builds. Its not a problem with his forum, but the hobby as a whole: I love the engineering aspect of this hobby but it seems I am outnumbered by guys who want to do everything as cheaply and as easy as is possible, regardless of practicality or safety.

My latest, and stupidest idea is to use a Honda gx35, a torque sensing bottom bracket and some hobby robotics parts to build a purely assistive motorized bike.
I got some stuff on the back burner for now, I want to do a engine swap on the 4X first.

It's not the wrong hobby if YOU love doing it. Who cares about everybody else. Some people will think what you want to do is silly, others will appreciate the time and craftsmanship it takes to build something truly unique.

I'm a mechanic with electrical training. I can design some simple stuff, but I lack the talent of others to design things, which is why I am not an engineer. My brain just doesn't work that way.

I am trying to get into doing more stuff with solid works and cad and I have all sorts of ideas I want to try, such as a force air cooling setup that can be adapted to the 2 strokes. It's not really.for money making reasons, or really even necessary. I just want to try it and see the results. Who knows, maybe it could turn into something. I need a 3d printer first, which is on my list of things to eventually get.

Heck, compared to a lot of you guys, I barely ride my bicycles at all. I have a car and 2 motorcycles and live in a place that makes a MB a more difficult proposition to daily. That is why I do it just as a fun side hobby.

Back