Crashes I am the only nut in WNY wearing a full face helmet on a bike- yesterday it paid off

Status
Not open for further replies.

professor

Local time
3:15 AM
I started wearing it in the winter to keep my head warmer and just continued.
Haven't fallen off a bike in 50 years- till yesterday.

Putting along at slow pedal speed on the bike path. Went to make a sharp turn - instantly went down on unseen road salt as the front wheel continued forward. Landed hard on my shoulder and I know my head hit, but it was like a big cushion was around my beanie.

A couple of weeks ago I was getting off my peddler at the store and noticed a car pulled up next to me. As I looked, I saw my daughter and granddaughter laughing like crazy - At me. It is quite OK.

Here they are buying new jeans with rips or patches on and I am the crazy one!
Shoulder I injured last month hurts more and thumb is sore but head is fine.

I hear you about using it to stay warm in winter-time. I would too!

Full face are excellent protection. I always wear one no matter what bike I ride.

I got a full face helmet for Christmas in prep for getting a motorcycle license. I wear a bicycle helmet when riding my motorbike, i may start wearing the full face helmet on some of the busier roads.

Safety 1st! If you want a safe bike kit buy chain drive. i ordered a golden eagle yesterday and i cant wait for it to get here! im getting all the upgrades i can when my wallet permits it..yes fabian u heard me right..you are right about everything! except my employer..i am a roofer i work with my own business not bikes..when im into something im in it..now im into something worth the money..hehehe

Happy to hear the helmet did its job and you're okay!
I wear an open-face DOT - I often think about getting a full-face.
Maybe this season.

Yes, Proessor, when I was riding the big bikes I was always wearing a full faced +. With the small motorized bikes, THE SAME APPLIES!!!!!~ Think about it, it's your face/life, not anyone elses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~

Heck, if I had to dress up as astronaut, I would if that meant it would help. WHO CARES what others think, just as long as you are enjoying yourself!!

There's the question of how much extra benefit you get from a full face helmet; they have been implicated in spinal injuries because nothing crumples much when the chin strikes the ground, and so the shock loads are directed backwards.

I prefer open face for road use. Add to this the benefits of avoiding an accident if you can hear what's going on around you, and the ability to talk to people without taking it on and off. But any protection is better than none.

Helmets can be fun. Sporting goods vendors have all kinds of cool headgear . None of it D O T legal Mountain Climbers have
cool helmets, I personally wear an extra large Little League Batters Helmet, with a dog collar for a strap, looks legal enough .
Cotton Helmet liners make any helmet more comfortable, and are kind to your hair.
When I was a young punk, I used to fill both helmets with Ice stolen from the hotel lobby, and wear a shower cap for the
ride back to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back