Apprehensive First MB Build - Cranbrook

Yes ..it is a good solid steel frame bike...I looked at a lot of bikes before I bought that one....good price and good for setting up that first bike...the MB frame is the main thing ..you can change out every thing else that came with the origional..as you go along..

Thank you for the support fellas. I agree Pirate, the Cranbrook crew needs to stick together.

Here's what I did with the idler pulley.

I shortened the engine drive chain to get the pulley out of there altogether. I tighten it by moving the axle back and forth.

I put the idler pulley on the bicycle chain. It needs to be mounted upside down on that side. Now that idler pulley only has tension on it when applying the coaster brake.

You'll find photos in my picture gallery. I'd link to it, but I don't know how. But it shouldn't be hard to find.

OK, finally I have a chance to update with good news!

The thing runs!

I replaced all the parts that had issues on the back side and fixed the order of the washer and the sprocket.

Well... almost everything is good. The darn thing is just running terrible!

It has absolutely no bottom end.

It is sputtering like crazy.

Any slight incline and it just dies.

It will not idle at all.

I will be going down the road and it will sputter out and die on me.

Here are some of the facts:

I have checked the bowl of the carb and the jet isn't lose. The only thing that is loose in it was the float like it should be.

I have the idle screw turned all the way in and backed out 1 and a 1/4 turn.

I prime the engine 3-4 pumps.

I get to pedalling and get going to the road, release clutch and it fires away.

I adjust the choke half then to off (down, I am assuming this is correct).

Then the problems ensue after I have ridden for about 20-30 seconds.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Thank you everyone, it feels good to be back the boards again!

Cranbrook sprocket

I have a Cranbrook and had the same problems. I got a Creative Engineering sprocket kit and it works like a charm. Jim makes all of his own quality parts and is a first class engineer. The sprocket set I got was specifically made for the Cranbrook.

here is his site http://home.roadrunner.com/~bikeparts/

I went an checked out the site Johnny Blaze posted. I don't think I am sure what the need for it is.

Would someone mind enlightening me?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Back