Tubes Are 'Slime' tubes worth the extra money?

Well, as I said. A 12 dollar thing of slime per wheel is 24 bucks. You prolly didn't get the slime cause your tires AREN'T flat, so you buy new tubes too, another 6-8 bucks at least. Suddenly the price tag is well over 30 bucks with tax. Do you have a valve core remover? If not, you're prolly going to buy one of them too, which could be only 5 more bucks, but now just to slime a tire it's near 40 bucks.

The topic is about preslimed tubes, and he doesn't say if it was slime brand or not. It could be Specialized brand tubes with their glue based sealant. Objectively, the most I can gather is that he bought tubes prefilled with something and it didn't work.

In one of my first posts I said the predone tubes are about the same price as liners, and the liners will actually work at preventing a hole in your tube.

It'd be cool if more people had the luck others do with slime, I know that with the entire tricounty area here you may as well clamp some vice grips onto your valve stem as tight as you can get them and start riding with them on there if you think slime is going to stop anything.

I myself don't need to take a slime test - I've had my fair share of it.

I could take a .22 and shoot each one of my tires on my bike right now, knowing that I'm going to be fine getting home, and I don't use slime. I travel knowing that if I needed to I could travel almost 140 miles if I needed to, and that's if I leave my wallet at home.

How often do I change the oil in my car? Every time I'm at the pump I'm mixing it in a gas can. I don't operate anything besides a motorized bike.

If I ran over that lockjaw nail in reality riding down the road it'd punch through my sidewall, and then I'd have to repair the tube. If you ran over that lockjaw nail in reality, you'd be stranded with a flat and no tools.

I'm not angry that you don't get flats, if anything I'm glad for you - but it does upset me that you would suggest that people NOT take repair kits and tools with them when they're riding just because you don't. Your terrain is different in New Mexico than it is anywhere else in the country. If there's a goathead plant on a trail here in Idaho it's got a 12 foot diameter. I owned a trailer a few years ago, when I got it the entire yard was goatheads. Literally, no grass, 150 square yards of nothing but thick flourishing goatheads.

Where mother nature isn't flattening tires, brother man is. Cars drive down bike routes throwing half inch tacks out their windows because they don't like bicycles on their 5 minute work commute. Anywhere that has active construction can have anything from roofing staples to 16 penny nails to tack strip. Broken glass and shards of metal on the sides of the highway that people throw out their windows and falls out of the beds of pickups.

Not everyone lives where you do, nor do they live where I do. There's people on this forum all across the world. I don't expect myself to know what the terrain is in every neighborhood worldwide, and I'm fine with that. I do know that if you're prepare for the worst and hope for the best you're going to be in better shape than if you were to take poor advice such as not taking a repair kit with you when you're on the road.

Slime doesn't cut it 100% of the time. For you it might, and like I said, I'm glad for you, but it will not hold up to everything for everyone. That's just a fact.

ADD:

As for the Goat Heads magically coming back to life and moving to different places in the tube that is simply impossible as my tires would have to go flat to do that and they never do......

Correction. Goatheads would have to get through your tires first. So, why are you defending the 24$ full slime treatment on 18$ worth of tubes? You're on Armadillos, which are a kevlar compound tire!! The very day they were released those years ago I was there with my HUNDRED AND FORTY dollars in hand for two tires. The topic is about preslimed tubes, not kevlar compound tires... Are you assuming that everybody else is rolling around on 150 dollars in tires, 25 in slime and another 20 in tubes? After tax it's two hundred bucks in tube and tire. The topic is about a 5 dollar tube.

To those of us who aren't on 200 dollar tires and tubes, this is the Goathead story.

First, you get the whole thing in your tire and you see the ugly knot stickin out of the tire.
Then you're still riding, it breaks off.
You're losing air, cause the slime hasn't been centrifugal forced into the hole yet.
When you lose PSI, your tube will travel inside the tire. Notabley when you see that your valvestem is about to be ripped off due to low pressure.
The goathead is in the TIRE not the tube, but it has pierced the tube.
The tube moves and the goathead either pierces it again, or it tears the tube.

It's not magic, that's the way it is.

Last edited:
Well, as I said. A 12 dollar thing of slime per wheel is 24 bucks. You prolly didn't get the slime cause your tires AREN'T flat, so you buy new tubes too, another 6-8 bucks at least. Suddenly the price tag is well over 30 bucks with tax. Do you have a valve core remover? If not, you're prolly going to buy one of them too, which could be only 5 more bucks, but now just to slime a tire it's near 40 bucks.
You silly guy you the slime bottle comes with a valve core tool in it and its totally reusable too. YOU OBLIVIOUSLY HAVE VERY LITTLE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS PRODUCT I rest my case here alone. You are all ''SHENANIGANS'' your worth just went completely away as for even ''REMOTLY'' having a clue about what you say or EVEN THINK YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE HELPING NO ONE AND OBVIOUSLY DON'T CARE:whistle::geek::geek::geek::whistle: :whistle::poop::poop::poop: any one with common sense can figure this part out!!!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Thorn-Resistant-Bicycle-Tube/dp/B000AOA0KG x two 12 dollars.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...9x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM1921457801 $6.19
Total $18.19 and
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mountain-...00000003260420&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5750637 Total 50 bucks
enjoy the ride!

One of my buddies rides with tires very similar to these and just out side his house is a Gateway to He!! with goat heads.... He put about six to seven ounces in each tube. Something I know good and well you never tried!! :geek: so take the test guy's don't take anyone's word for it!

You were to busy playing with trying to make a fast bike. I all ready established I love the work out on my bikes.
The topic is about preslimed tubes, and he doesn't say if it was slime brand or not. It could be Specialized brand tubes with their glue based sealant. Objectively, the most I can gather is that he bought tubes prefilled with something and it didn't work.
This could be construed as a astute observation. How ever making claims and rubbish testimony how ever vague is not helping people. Slime is clearly in the subject. If I had not shared my experience or testimony or even made these distinctions all ready well you tell me? how does that help any one?

Use more reading comprehension. Op used a slime tube and tires like I suggest. I feel I truly helped too! Oh yeah paper thin tubes just don't work....
In one of my first posts I said the predone tubes are about the same price as liners, and the liners will actually work at preventing a hole in your tube.
I have adamantly explained that preslimed tubes lead to failure and clearly explained why. You have already proven to be all ''SHENANIGANS'' a rebel without a clue....
It'd be cool if more people had the luck others do with slime, I know that with the entire tricounty area here you may as well clamp some vice grips onto your valve stem as tight as you can get them and start riding with them on there if you think slime is going to stop anything.

This makes no sense. Why would somebody wanna do that to their valve core that's just silly. How did you get a sticker there . What kinda kinky stuff are you doing? I don't wanna know.:whistle:
I myself don't need to take a slime test - I've had my fair share of it.
If only you new the difference then about pre slimed tubes and how fragile the paper thin ones were you would not have to take your bike apart so much! Also when comparing my mountain bike tires that rule the earth IMHO cause I get no flats, to a tiny skinny fragile tire that some ones pet gerbil could flatuate and fill the tube well.

You have already proven you did not even have a clue the slime bottles came with a valve core tool. A nice reusable one too. That I only use once I will add to put the slime in and simply leave it alone as nothing is ever broken.....EVER...
I could take a .22 and shoot each one of my tires on my bike right now, knowing that I'm going to be fine getting home, and I don't use slime. I travel knowing that if I needed to I could travel almost 140 miles if I needed to, and that's if I leave my wallet at home.

It does upset me tho that you would suggest people shoot their tires with guns. This is something that is dangerous to yourself and the people around you! You also left out the part about your tires being dangerous and coming off the rims at high speed well? Folks should be aware of that right? Out in the boonies with no ambulance or a cell phone.
*This is a straightaway tire, not a hot rodding tire. If you make too sharp a turn at too great a speed, the tire will actually roll off of the wheel.
It is very sound advice that folks carry a tire pump and spare tube etc. I have for the most part just not carried anything. I know that sounds ignorant but that's just me. When I take a long and questionable trip things like winter and heat stroke. I bring a plan
How often do I change the oil in my car? Every time I'm at the pump I'm mixing it in a gas can. I don't operate anything besides a motorized bike.
This is awesome! I have three covered wagons and very rarely use them. All run great only have one insured. As I don't use them.
If I ran over that lockjaw nail in reality riding down the road it'd punch through my sidewall, and then I'd have to repair the tube. If you ran over that lockjaw nail in reality, you'd be stranded with a flat and no tools.
I must have more ride time in then you? As I have encountered many different kinds of trinkets. They don't all go through the side wall ether. How ever a itty bitty thin tire has no side wall protection what so ever.
Making even the best shielded/liner type tire kinda null and void. This is why I don't use them. Stickers will even go through the side wall in a heart beat. As for experience with these tires got no selling points for ya I don't use them.
One of the reasons I like my larger tires is something like this it definitely more forgiving scaled up. It has been! For way more then a goat head.
I'm not angry that you don't get flats, if anything I'm glad for you - but it does upset me that you would suggest that people NOT take repair kits and tools with them when they're riding just because you don't.
This is funny I have implied how safe I have been and have not lied. I would suggest perhaps carrying a spare tube tho and even levis jean strips wait wut I said this already...
Your terrain is different in New Mexico than it is anywhere else in the country. If there's a goathead plant on a trail here in Idaho it's got a 12 foot diameter. I owned a trailer a few years ago, when I got it the entire yard was goatheads. Literally, no grass, 150 square yards of nothing but thick flourishing goatheads.
I would make necklaces and sell them on Ebay. This would also be amusing with the gerbil see above.^
In my case with the razor blade the first time I got home I had green around me. lol. Don't really mind if I don't have to walk the dog home. I re-aired that tire the rear one. Went on to ride it another 75 miles occasionally re-airing it until I replaced the tube and tire. It looked like a blow out waiting to happen. Even if I get to where it on me , which has been very rare. I where it with pride love the stuff.

This was definitely my morbid curiosity and did happen the the way I said it! Of course jeopardizing someone safety is hainuss. I would never suggest that some one start shooting their bike with a gun! Bullets rickashay. Somebody could get killed even your self terrible advice. A 22 bullet has the worst rickashay ever please don't! Don't do that people!
Where mother nature isn't flattening tires, brother man is. Cars drive down bike routes throwing half inch tacks out their windows because they don't like bicycles on their 5 minute work commute. Anywhere that has active construction can have anything from roofing staples to 16 penny nails to tack strip. Broken glass and shards of metal on the sides of the highway that people throw out their windows and falls out of the beds of pickups.
I say the more tacks the Merrier Bring it on!!
This is so true I found a staple one time a sewing pin, roofing nail, list goes on. Just pulled it out let the slime do its work and simply road on. of course I lost a tiny bit of air but once I swung by a airs station [they have these through out a city by the way did not know if you knew?] I aired the tire harder again [that I road my bike too not walked] After that the slime took over and life was lovy! ENJOY THE RIDE!

A little ol Goat head that makes a killer tire plug by the way with slime. The way I have said to use it. Never worried me none! Uh if the tire moves it moves with the tube.....
2. Carry in your bike bag a plug kit! If you see a goathead, just immediately plug it through the tire, and patch it when you get home.

You already suggested plugs. Mine rock! Their permanent too!
Not everyone lives where you do, nor do they live where I do. There's people on this forum all across the world. I don't expect myself to know what the terrain is in every neighborhood worldwide, and I'm fine with that. I do know that if you're prepare for the worst and hope for the best you're going to be in better shape than if you were to take poor advice such as not taking a repair kit with you when you're on the road.

This is good advice. Like I said before I have led a good life!
Slime doesn't cut it 100% of the time. For you it might, and like I said, I'm glad for you, but it will not hold up to everything for everyone. That's just a fact.
There is a reason why the type size of tire that I have suggest works. Comparing experiences with paper thin tubes and tiny skinny fragile tires would not be fair at all in this equitation. Now would it!
to a tiny skinny fragile tire that some ones pet gerbil could flatuate and fill the tube well.

Here's how I will explain that for you. That tire does not have enough Volume air in it understand? Not enough to even re inflate the gerbil. This means that your theory about goat heads relocating them selves could defiantly come into play. I have clearly said the type size tires that I use simply do not have this theoretical issue. That you made up. The tire and tube always move together.
Correction. Goatheads would have to get through your tires first. So, why are you defending the 24$ full slime treatment on 18$ worth of tubes? You're on Armadillos, which are a kevlar compound tire!! The very day they were released those years ago I was there with my HUNDRED AND FORTY dollars in hand for two tires. The topic is about preslimed tubes, not kevlar compound tires... Are you assuming that everybody else is rolling around on 150 dollars in tires, 25 in slime and another 20 in tubes? After tax it's two hundred bucks in tube and tire. The topic is about a 5 dollar tube.
No its not.........Do you want us to all fail miserably like you? Misery loves company!

Once again how much of this are you nonchalantly getting dramatically mixed up with type size tires that I simply will not use? Or the tubes that are just to thin and had very little slime in them to began with? I already said that I had great experience with Wally type mountain bike tires Heavy duty thick tubes and slime. That is not a expensive recipe ether.
You're on Armadillos, which are a kevlar compound tire!! The very day they were
I am one this tire for over ten years I already said this I have used them on motorized with ton of miles and 3 different peddlers I still have two and ride. it has lousy protection and simply will not work without slime..
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=57283-Wtb+Moto+Raptor+Race+Folding+Mountain+Tire They have worked for me flawlessly try again. Read up on this tire....... No protection.....Also while you are trying to get more bright ideas if you go bare foot in the stickers long enough just bet ya get them between your toes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8KXFW201nM
To those of us who aren't on 200 dollar tires and tubes, this is the Goathead story.

First, you get the whole thing in your tire and you see the ugly knot stickin out of the tire.
Then you're still riding, it breaks off.
You're losing air, cause the slime hasn't been centrifugal forced into the hole yet.
This is silly slime is designed to leave a coating in the entire tube. Don't believe me take apart one of your imaginary tubes that you own? Dunno. and have a look see. I also suspect this could be where folks try to confuse the durability of a skinny road tire to a mountain bike tire there is a clear differential to potential cost here. I am all about a good tire tho. ?
When you lose PSI, your tube will travel inside the tire. Notabley when you see that your valvestem is about to be ripped off due to low pressure.
The goathead is in the TIRE not the tube, but it has pierced the tube.
The tube moves and the goathead either pierces it again, or it tears the tube.
I have observed over time for me maybe once a year tho, [motorized] I might have to Scoot a tire a little. It is so rare for me tho because my tires stay aired up. With that said they really stay stuck in one place more permanently because of this [gluing effect]. I have a set of tires I have not moved in 5 years.

When a tube moves the tire always moves with it in my experience. ''shenanigans'' Not my problem tho never happens to me me ever! I suspect with the paper thin tubes you are glorifying that you did not know this. But they don't work. This is precisely why I only ride mountain type bikes. Also see gerbil above!
It's not magic, that's the way it is.
in your world not mine LAMO

1 flat out of 24 thorns isnt bad!
You can scale things up or you can scale them down. A big huge cargo truck takes more preload on a wheel bearing than a Honda prelude. There tires are comparable to scale too I just bet ya I can run over more stuff and totally get away with it in the cargo truck and not get a flat! I am talking about tires now. Don't go get all silly about bearings now.....

Not all of us run 100 psi race tires [race bikes] the type tires I use and recommend the highest I personally air them up is 47 psi. This would explain the silly explosions that I absolutely never get. That you had a problem with.......
Oh yeah - but that's what makes it fun (the skipping feeling), feels like you're just effortlessly gliding down the pavement, it's sheer ecstasy. You really don't have to fear a blowout on a touring bike - cause the tire is a smaller diameter, you can get a much higher psi than you'd imagine. Took me a while before I had the nerve to inflate it so much, but when I did it was well worth it.

The ecstasy is gone when the critter dies see above. ^

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I shot a turtle once with a .22LR. I was surprised at how much of the turtle went with it, and how hard the .22 hit the mud far beyond that. Don't play! Please take your bike to an outdoor range and use a proper backstop, and be mindful of possible ricochets.
www.youtube.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcN5YT5gZpY Foam rubber reactive shooting targets (cube shape)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTapedGoat View Post
It does upset me tho that you would suggest people shoot their tires with guns. This is something that is dangerous to yourself and the people around you! You also left out the part about your tires being dangerous and coming off the rims at high speed well? Folks should be aware of that right? Out in the boonies with no ambulance or a cell phone.

Last edited:
GoatHerder : You silly guy you the slime bottle comes with a valve core tool in it and its totally reusable too. YOU OBLIVIOUSLY HAVE VERY LITTLE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS PRODUCT I rest my case here alone. You are all ''SHENANIGANS'' your worth just went completely away as for even ''REMOTLY'' having a clue about what you say or EVEN THINK YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE HELPING NO ONE AND OBVIOUSLY DON'T CARE:w histling: any one with common sense can figure this part out!!!!!

Well, apparently all you care about is denouncing and demeaning me, trolling me across multiple threads and making three page rebuttals about stuff that doesn't relate to the topic.

Before you go defaming me in the future, remember that this isn't a private message. This is a public forum where multiple people gather to share their experience with each other so that we can all learn and grow. If you would like to just spout off senselessly, PM me, and that way only I have to ignore it, not the entire community.

I'm sorry that you are too close minded to realize that this thread isn't about you. This isn't "GoatHerder's Vast Knowledge And Experiences Forum". There is a community of people here who are all very insightful and intelligent, and I do hope that someone is able to take what I have shared and learn from my experiences, as I do them.

I have my own opinion on certain things, and the beauty of that is - you don't have to agree with it. That's what makes it MY opinion. If I've learned only one thing in my life it is that though there may be a similar problem, there are many different causes and just as many different solutions. I'm here to learn about the solutions, not cause problems.

As I said, if you have anything that you feel needs said to me, respectfully say it in a PM, and we can have an intelligent conversation - I'm sure we could both learn quite a few things from each other.

_DuctTapedGoat

Well, apparently all you care about is denouncing and demeaning me, trolling me across multiple threads and making three page rebuttals about stuff that doesn't relate to the topic.

Before you go defaming me in the future, remember that this isn't a private message. This is a public forum where multiple people gather to share their experience with each other so that we can all learn and grow. If you would like to just spout off senselessly, PM me, and that way only I have to ignore it, not the entire community.

I'm sorry that you are too close minded to realize that this thread isn't about you. This isn't "GoatHerder's Vast Knowledge And Experiences Forum". There is a community of people here who are all very insightful and intelligent, and I do hope that someone is able to take what I have shared and learn from my experiences, as I do them.

I have my own opinion on certain things, and the beauty of that is - you don't have to agree with it. That's what makes it MY opinion. If I've learned only one thing in my life it is that though there may be a similar problem, there are many different causes and just as many different solutions. I'm here to learn about the solutions, not cause problems.

As I said, if you have anything that you feel needs said to me, respectfully say it in a PM, and we can have an intelligent conversation - I'm sure we could both learn quite a few things from each other.

_DuctTapedGoat
IMHO
This thread is truly about slime. If I had not shared my particular knowledge uneducated scoffers such as your self would only lead to bad advice.IMHO I have a rare incite into things and simply exposed the truth out of your opinions is all to divide fact from opinion. For the good of the masses. You could have posted things differently your self. Who is close minded? This was done simply so that folks could know the truth IMHO. With out that there would be unnecessary hard ships a lack of understanding and flat tires. That is just lame.

You did jump into this thread saying that your solid rubber tires were the replacement and that.......
IMHO
I never trolled you across any thread are you kidding or what? Are you makning this stuff up as you go along too? This is becoming obvious for all too see then. For the record this is the only post that seams to be off topic now!!
You are.......IMO
Saying blatantly stuff like things cost way way more than they actually do. For one!! is this very insightful and intelligent? Don't ya think?
accusing me of trolling you around threads is this very insightful and intelligent
Face it you are trolling yourself. Your first post here said it. Why do I have to be the one that has the ability to intelligently differentiate?

You based your background on slime with a preslimed tube no doubt a paper thin one to me. Then tried valiantly to say nothing worked that sllime had no purpose? Then said Slime sucks. is this very insightful and intelligent?

Then after words tryed to say it again after the the differential was established IMHO A tube heavy duty with more slime in it.

I have totally stayed on the subject of slime!!!!!! What is it you are trying to do now ? Because it makes absolutely no sense to me?

I had to establish that the type tube you used was and why it did not work.
If I knew what I know did not work I would not be posting here. We were and indeed have been talking about slime this is a debate right? Opinions from facts how does that get established then?

IMHO you will say anything to say it is worthless. This has been clearly established IMO

In my opinion you would just have enjoyed the thread more better if there was a lack of any education. Preslimed tubes don't work as well. You would have us in the dark then or what? The thread should have come to a screeching halt as slime useless even before that? This seams to be extremely important for you to establish..Debate not going your way are what???

Would that have made you more happy? That no one could learn anything?

You drop opinions in that bear no relevance to any productivity other than any ploy you can possibly come up with to debunk it. IMHO How is this helpful to any one? When its a random well placed opinion and not fact? is this very insightful and intelligent. Or is this opinions or trolling it is hard for me honestly to tell the difference? IMHO

The truth will only educate. Its up to you! You did clearly indicate your character..by shelling many many half and non truths. IMHO Like saying slime sucks.

How do we differentiate you opinion from fact then. You are and clearly have been paying your card here. I know that we are all entitled to free speech this is still America.IMHO

You are clearly causing problems when you tell any of your opinions as facts then. Back your claims with more truths and intelligence this is a debate against a whole lot of opinions is this not a forum? What do we do on forums? Just saying............

Probably 10's of thousands of people read this forum, including this thread. I googled Amerityre earlier and a post I had just made came up on the first listing.

Anyway, the slime is $5 to 8 at the Walmart here. I'll try some on my MB. I don't want to use it for my mountain bike or road bike, but the motor bicycle pushes itself most of the time, and already has heavy wheels. I'll give it a try.

I use the slime stuff here with the heavy tubes and use the bottle with great results on stickers and more here. Just have to load up your tubes righteously to get results is all. The slime tubes that are prepackage thin or thick ones don't stand much chance here. They work for a short while when they are new that's about it. I never have to patch my tubes. The stickers out here are pretty rough. It does seam to work best with the bigger tires.

I used it on the kids B.M.X. bikes the tires go soft every once in a while on them just aired them up and they were off.

Back