Ask Me Anything - Homemade 3 Speed Transmission

IMG_20221014_140112.jpg

Can anyone guess what it is?

It's an incredible awesome build for sure. I still get nervous looking at the fenders though. I think I will ALWAYS look at front fenders that way though... no matter how re-enforced.

What is the round container under the seat?
Looks like a cool little storage "trunk"...

This is the battery box.
The battery is on a 3D printed tray, so I can pull it out.
Until a while ago my charging system didn't work, so I had to pull out the battery and plug it into the charger every day.
The turn signal relay is also pushed in.

IMG_20221115_141658.jpg

IMG_20221115_141714.jpg

is it possible to bang gears, in one of those mower transmissions, or do you have to stop to shift.
I can shift gears while driving.
Engage the clutch in 1st gear and take off, hit 12mph and the engine starts roaring, grab the shift clutch, pull, bang! 2nd gear.
Rather, attempting to shift from a standstill poses the risk of the dog being misaligned, causing the gear to get stuck halfway through.

I posted a video about this bike.
In addition to the commentary I've given here, it includes a demonstration of the transmission, and a driving video.
I added English subtitles, so turn them on!

I can shift gears while driving.
Engage the clutch in 1st gear and take off, hit 12mph and the engine starts roaring, grab the shift clutch, pull, bang! 2nd gear.
Rather, attempting to shift from a standstill poses the risk of the dog being misaligned, causing the gear to get stuck halfway through.
im talking about a peerless trans, not your design. my dad says it isnt possible, because the mower cant, but oliver motorized did it one time. i dont know if it would have lasted though.

I posted a video about this bike.
In addition to the commentary I've given here, it includes a demonstration of the transmission, and a driving video.
I added English subtitles, so turn them on!

本当に素晴らしいビデオ。 交通渋滞に乗っているときにレーンコントロールを使用するのを見るのはうれしいことです。

Really great video. Glade to see you use Lane Control while riding in traffic.

It's been 24 hours, so I'll try to explain what this is all about.
First of all, thank you to everyone who posted and read the thread. It was a really fun time.
Long story short, this is my Motorized Bike.
The photo I posted was of a homemade 3 speed transmission.

View attachment 182646

I know that everyone wants to know more about the gearbox than the big picture of the bike. Let me explain them in order.

First of all, I can only ride a motorcycle of 50cc or less due to the cost of obtaining a license. So, as anyone could have predicted, the biggest problem I ran into was lack of torque.

A shifter kit can be imported from China for $200, but I wanted to do something a little more over-complicated.

So, I bought two sets of used AA01 Cub gear from Yahoo!Auctions (yes, Yahoo! is still alive in Japan. Think of it as authoritative like ebay).

View attachment 182647

Next, I measured this with a vernier caliper and made it into a 3D model for design.
Gear teeth have been omitted for ease of processing.

View attachment 182648

As several people have pointed out (which really surprised me), you're right about the extra jackshaft(yellow).
I wanted the power input and output to the transmission on the left side of the bike, but the main shaft (green, which is the shaft on the Cub where the clutch connects) doesn't have enough room to connect the power input sprocket.
There was also the problem of the wheels rotating in reverse due to the even number of gears.

So I sacrificed the second set of gear I bought. Combining the countershaft and gear, power is input by directly turning the gear on the main shaft.

The power from the engine rotates the yellow shaft, is transmitted to green and red, and is transmitted to the wheels by a chain. The blue and pink parts are devices for rearranging gears (shift drum and shift fork, respectively).

View attachment 182649

I printed this out, stick it on a steel plate, cut it out by angle grinder, and welded it by 100V stick welder.

View attachment 182650

The bearing housing was the biggest problem. I don't own a milling machine, and I don't have a friend to lend me one.
So my solution was to cut the steel pipe into round slices and grind them with a leutor to the same diameter as the bearings.

View attachment 182651

Yes, it's rough, but it worked. Soichiro Honda made a really strong gear.
After about a month of repeated cutting and pasting, I battled oil leaks, negotiated a ceasefire, and completed the transmission.

This is what the final derailleur transmission looks like. It's a 5kg lump of iron.

View attachment 182652

All I had to do was cut the frame of the bike to make enough room.

View attachment 182653

I've attached some pictures of the build in progress. I don't remember taking this, but I think it's an interesting picture.
The bicycle chain interfered with the transmission, so it was routed down using a cog that had been removed from the bicycle derailleur.

View attachment 182654

I also struggled with electrical power shortages, so I modified the magneto cover to incorporate the XD-3420 generator. I am legally required to have all of my headlights, brake lights, turn signals and horn working.

View attachment 182655

The carburetor is a Chinese copy of the PW50, the exhaust pipe is a chiseled Chinese chamber kit, and the reed valve kit is standard installation.

View attachment 182656

There are two clutches, a bicycle brake lever attached to the shift lever used for shifting and a lockout lever attached to the handlebar used for braking. The two wires are simply bundled together and both are connected to the engine's clutch.

I think I've explained everything I can think of for the time being.

I would like to hold Ask Me Anything. I will try to answer as much as possible.
I will buy a transmission off of you, name your price and I will buy it, if its under 1000$, ill pay for shipping for you to make me one

Back