Ask Me Anything - Homemade 3 Speed Transmission

IMG_20221014_140112.jpg

Can anyone guess what it is?

I too have a shifter bike, which is why this thread interested me. What are your reduction ratios? On my 33cc 4 stroke, the reduction range is 66.79\1 to 16.25\1. I'm 230 lbs and live in the mountains of Tennessee. Large people, small engines, and steep hills gears are a must.

I used to have a LandRider which shifted 7 engine-driven gears automatically.

I too have a shifter bike, which is why this thread interested me. What are your reduction ratios? On my 33cc 4 stroke, the reduction range is 66.79\1 to 16.25\1. I'm 230 lbs and live in the mountains of Tennessee. Large people, small engines, and steep hills gears are a must.

I used to have a LandRider which shifted 7 engine-driven gears automatically.
1st gear is 40.11\1, 2nd gear is 22.32\1 and 3rd gear is 14.60\1.
In fact, I think the 1st gear ratio is too high and the increments to 2nd gear are too rough.
There are 4-speed and 5-speed Cub kits on the market, so I wanted to use them if possible, but they were too expensive for me.
$200-$600 for a set, and $15 for a used 3rd gear set.
Wealthy freaks build Kitako or Takegawa gear sets into their old Cubs, then toss the surplus 3-speed sets to auction and I pick them up.

Automatic is great. Did you pull the shift cable with a mechanism like a governor? Or did you electronically measure engine rpm or speed and used an Arduino and a servo motor?

1st gear is 40.11\1, 2nd gear is 22.32\1 and 3rd gear is 14.60\1.
In fact, I think the 1st gear ratio is too high and the increments to 2nd gear are too rough.
There are 4-speed and 5-speed Cub kits on the market, so I wanted to use them if possible, but they were too expensive for me.
$200-$600 for a set, and $15 for a used 3rd gear set.
Wealthy freaks build Kitako or Takegawa gear sets into their old Cubs, then toss the surplus 3-speed sets to auction and I pick them up.

Automatic is great. Did you pull the shift cable with a mechanism like a governor? Or did you electronically measure engine rpm or speed and used an Arduino and a servo motor?
The LandRider used an auto-shift rear derailleur. I eventually went to a 1x7 Drive.

My current bike the Sidewinder uses a triple chainring shift kit. I use a color code and do all shifting with the left hand. The only time a chainring is shifted is when in either rear sprockets (3) or (5). Take of gears 1(1) uphill 2(3) all other take offs. My system eliminates cross-chaining.

Red gears 1(1-3) hill climbing
Yellow gears 2(3-5) around town general use
Green gears 3(5-7) open road

IMG_20220824_132527.jpg

I often advise others on here to use a Sturmey Archer S3X IGH as a jackshaft transmission. The SA S3X is a fixed-gear IGH. Here's the ratios 5\8, 3\4, 1\1. Then I tell them to use this drive: 10-20; 24-36. So the top gear at 8000 rpm on 26" tires will give you a speed of 50 mph. The reductions would be: 19.68\1, 16.4\1, 12.3\1

Hoping you make some videos of your bike soon.

I now see what you are talking about on the rpm drops when you change gears 1st to 2nd would drop from 8000 rpm to 4600 rpm. Then 2nd to 3rd would drop 8000 rpm to 5200 rpm. So yeah I agree with you need 2 more gears.

You may want to consider a Sturmey Archer 5-speed IGH. Though you'd have to jackshaft to the right side for the input. To keep a reduction range similar to what you have, you could use this drive setup:
10\10, 10\30, 24\44.

It'd give you the following reductions:

36.08\1, 30.07\1, 22.55\1, 16.91/1, 14.09\1.

{5\8, 3\4, 1\1, 4\3, 8\5} SA ratios.

I now see what you are talking about on the rpm drops when you change gears 1st to 2nd would drop from 8000 rpm to 4600 rpm. Then 2nd to 3rd would drop 8000 rpm to 5200 rpm. So yeah I agree with you need 2 more gears.

You may want to consider a Sturmey Archer 5-speed IGH. Though you'd have to jackshaft to the right side for the input. To keep a reduction range similar to what you have, you could use this drive setup:
10\10, 10\30, 24\44.

It'd give you the following reductions:

36.08\1, 30.07\1, 22.55\1, 16.91/1, 14.09\1.

{5\8, 3\4, 1\1, 4\3, 8\5} SA ratios.
I think I've figured out the LandRider Auto Shift...it's the type of machine that I really like! It's simple, it doesn't use electricity, and it serves its purpose perfectly.

Your calculations are correct (yes, the wheels are 26 inches correctly).
But in reality, the top speed is 31mph. The engine is calculated to be around 5800RPM, which is probably the load limit.
My legal top speed on the road is 18mph, so this is more than enough for my specs.

I don't have a tachometer installed (I think I can install one that measures voltage fluctuations on the ignition wire), but I can sense irregular timing from the engine sound and speed, so I don't need it for now.
There is also an intention to make the area around the handlebars look neater.

Adding a Sturmey Archer 5-speed is an interesting idea!
I can weave the spokes, and there is a disc brake compatible model (I attached the sprocket to the disc brake mount on the hub), so I think it can be installed almost as is.
I'll keep an eye on the auction...

Since 5800 rpm is what you're working with and if you have a speedometer do your shifts 1st to 2nd at 11 mph. Then 2nd to 3rd at 20 mph. You should find the transitions to be much smoother. Of course do the same in reverse when slowing down.

I like the potential of this thread but playing guessing games with vague pictures is irritating. If one wishes to play a guessing game at least provide detailed pictures and/or descriptions of the object.
Jerry...

It's his thread... let him present it as he chooses. This is where the first thing your mom (and my mom, and his mom, and her mom, and everyones mom) attempted to drill in to you comes in to play...

Patience..

:D

BTW ... Chain was just trying to point out that you could simply hold off a couple days for more info before responding if the "guessing game" isn't your forte'...

EDIT: And all of this is a moot point anyway as the thread continues and more is revealed.... so nevermind.

;)

Back