Belt drive rings

Great story. Lot of good pointers there on mounting the engine. I thought that it would be hard to swing the leg over the engine so I intend to use a girls bike. I don't care what it looks like. I don't think I could get on one like you have. I have trouble getting my leg over my bike that I am using now and I usually tilt it over some to get on. I am just a stiff old man (be 72 in dec.) I am going to start the build as soon as I get the girls bike. A guy in Hot Springs (Ar) about 30 miles from me has a women's beach cruiser that is 2 years old and says is in great shape forsale for 50 bucks so I am going over there in a day or so and look at it. I will keep in touch . Thanks, Tom

if it makes you feel better about using a "girl's bike" just call it a "step-thru" ;)

denny, that's fantastic work on the homebuilt ring!

Last edited:
That sounds ok with me. I doubt if anyone would even notice what it is when I whizz past with that 2 1/2 hp b&s sitting over the back wheel. I just got my first ever bike motorized with a 2 cycle ThatsDax kit and when I pass people around here that are in their yards or on the street they have a puzzled look at first and then usually wave. A neighbor lady that never stops or talks much stopped the other day and said she really did like my bike and thought it was great. Tom

-dan: i thought on this one...as mike sed, you'd be tied into a limited belt selection with a gebe ring, but it don't mean you can't still think along those lines...i've heard of folks who make pulleys outta the tops of various plastic containers. dunno if you'd be able to find what you need along that line, but if you did you might could use this info about how i mounted my "custom" gebe-ring.

about the drive-ring: i gave up and cut a new one. once i got over being freaked-out about the geometry & realized "it's not 18 spokes, it's 9 identical sets of 2" it was a breeze...i filed one set of 9 slots to the new width & depth, then i transferred the measurement for the other set of 9, filed them in...it took me quite a while with the 4-in-1 (which i also had to mod for the 9G spokes) to get it evenly seated, i broke 2 phillips screwdrivers, but it's ON THERE alright...then i anchored it (& sealed the 9 unused slots) with jb-weld...i am very pleased with the results.
View attachment 21307

Last edited:
if it makes you feel better about using a "girl's bike" just call it a "step-thru" ;)

denny, that's fantastic work on the homebuilt ring![/QUO

Thanks Augi. That's quite a compliment coming from the *guru of motorized bikes*, especially considering that most of my builds never get past the "duct tape and zip tie stage". Your comment is 2nd only to the young ladies a** comment. :devilish:

Denny

Denny, thanks for posting those pics. Never considered wood due to weight limitations but you sure gave me some good ideas. Keep us updated on any new engineering projects!

Back